What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2, my First Apple computer product

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I'm coming from the exact same place. My iPad2 is my first Apple product as well.

I was also surprised by the lack of system utilities but I think the basic idea behind that is that Apple believes that users should not have to manage/tweak the OS in any way or form except for the sparse setting that are available in options. In order to achieve some more control and ability to tweak I think You have to Jailbreak the device.

I have not done that yet. I have promised myself that I would give Apple the benefit of the doubt. Therefore I'm just enjoying carefree use of the iPad accepting that things are as they are and that for a large part of my needs they can be covered with an app. (the richness of apps in the App Store was after all the reason I went with the iPad in the first place)

Totally untrue! Apple allows the user to choose their own apps (sytem utilities or otherwise) based on their own needs. Rather than cramming the iPad full of a ton of unneeded software that you may never use they allow you to purchase (at cut-rate prices I might add) and download what you feel you'd like to use or that you feel you need. No $200 office production suites, no $30 spyware software, no yearly subscription for virus protection, etc. Just a device built the way you want it.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Well, I've finally done it, after years of rejecting Apple products (iPod excepted), I've purchased an iPad2 (64Gb 3G if anyone's counting).

I think this may well be the end of my reputation. Over the years I have constantly taken the p*ss about BMW's and Apple computers. Now I have both, of woe is me.

One question I must ask though is how you cope long term with the awful restrictions that Apple put upon their computer users that stop you from getting full benefit from their products: iTunes, DRM, App Strore, etc.

Whilst looking through the App Store I noticed that there does not appear to be any "utilities" as I would expect from a PC based product. Why is this?[/QUOTE]

There are actually many, many utility apps in the Apple store. But without a specific indication of what you'd like to do with your iPad it's hard to point you in the right direction. What type of utilities are you looking for? (Note: Be careful what you wish for... You'll see a lot of recommendations from experienced users here on the forum depending on your answer.)

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as a case recommendation, mine is the Zaggmate keyboard/case by Zagg (ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins). Great bluetooth keyboard and aluminum case in one. There are three videos on the website showing how it works. I just put the unit in a neoprene sleeve case and I'm off. Love the Zaggmate. Smaller keyboard than on my iMac, but still easy to type on and great protection for my iPad 2.
Just another thought, when you get your iMac, you might want to get a One-to-One membership. Great lessons with a trainer. You can study whatever you need help with. definitely have enjoyed mine. There are also FREE workshops for your iPad 2 at the Apple stores.
Welcome to the forum.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts