What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad with static sound...please help.

ThemApples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad2. About a year ago I started having problems with loud static sounds and or the sound disappearing all together. The problem persists even with the headphones; in addition it crackles at full blast through both hphones and speakers simultaneously!
It'd happen at seemingly random times at first. i assumed it was particular apps to blame so i closed them or erased them. It never went away completely. It was about 6 months before I could take it into the store; of course I couldn't get the problem to show its ugly face when I needed so the guy wouldn't help despite my frustration at having made a special 3 hr trip solely for this purpose.
The sound problem has worsened to the point now that I can rarely get it to play any sound and when I can it will always crackle with static :(. My AppleCare plan has since run out and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to buy a totally new one:(
For the record I've tried: turning the ipad completely off; closing out of apps completely or erasing them; cleaning the headphone jack and 16pin port with Qtip and a little alcohol. I think over even reset the whole ipad once. HELP!!!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi--I have moved your post to a separate thread so it can be looked at properly.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It really does sound like a hardware problem, and if your warrantee is up then your only options are to pay for a repair or a new iPad. Given the cost of repairs, it's almost always better to get a new iPad in the long run. Though there are third party repair shops that might do it for less. Make sure they are certified and offer some kind of guarantee.

Now, if you have some kind of record of your your visit to the Apple Store for the original problem, maybe, maybe, you can talk the store into a warrantee repair. But I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry not to have better news.
Good luck.

OP
T

ThemApples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick quote from apple to fix by sending it to them: $256.
Though it's cheaper than buying a new one I'm still pretty steamed about them not helping much the first time:(

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont think it's still on warantee since it's over a year ago. hmmm. It's really best if you buy a new one... Hmmm. Wait, the ipad is having static sounds? Coz I experience this when I only use headphones. I dont know if it's normal. hihihi.

OP
T

ThemApples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont think it's still on warantee since it's over a year ago. hmmm. It's really best if you buy a new one... Hmmm. Wait, the ipad is having static sounds? Coz I experience this when I only use headphones. I dont know if it's normal. hihihi.

Try double tapping the home button then closing out of s the apps. You do this by holding the home button down again until the apps start their wiggle dance, them close the ones in the bar at that popped up from the home button double tap.
If that doesn't work, check your audio/headphone input. Sometimes it gets dirt or dust in it, same w the USB port, and can cause static issues. You can clean this w compressed air and/or a little rubbing alcohol on a Qtip.

thinkisawesome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try double tapping the home button then closing out of s the apps. You do this by holding the home button down again until the apps start their wiggle dance, them close the ones in the bar at that popped up from the home button double tap.
If that doesn't work, check your audio/headphone input. Sometimes it gets dirt or dust in it, same w the USB port, and can cause static issues. You can clean this w compressed air and/or a little rubbing alcohol on a Qtip.
We will try! Thnx!

Most reactions

Latest posts