What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad with Apple TV

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so the girl wants Apple TV. And for $100 that's really cheap so why not.

But the thing she likes is netflix. We have the PS3 and Wii but nothing for the bedroom.

So after checking it out.. There is a "remote" app for the iPad. So main question: can I stream photos from my iPad to apple tv??

I always upload my photos to the iPad and never get the time to upload to the PS3.. At least in time to share with others. Be nice to pull pics from the iPad to display in an instant.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tonight, I showed my wife how I could stream pictures from my iPad to my 42" using the Apple TV. Then I showed her how I could show TV shows and movies from my iPad. The picture quality was great and no problems. I had wondered if the picture quality would suffer. No.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes.... you can do that. Just tried it. Can even do a slideshow with music.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would be nice if more and more apps added that ability. Would be nice to say, throw the PBS app on the Apple TV.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need 4.2 or will this work with what my iPad came with months ago?

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want Apple TV. The wife asked what I wanted for Xmas and I said Apple TV. So now I have to wait a month just because I told her it would be a great gift.

Gemnilocs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone gotten the apple tv and then cancelled their cable? I am strongly considering doing just that and cutting the. cable chord so that I am free.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have looked into, not deeply, cutting the cable. However, I watch The Science Channel and The Discovery Channels 90% of my TV viewing time. I haven't seen anyway to get those two channels other than Cable.. Anyone else know how to get these two channels without cable? I would love to cut the cable.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so the girl wants Apple TV. And for $100 that's really cheap so why not.

But the thing she likes is netflix. We have the PS3 and Wii but nothing for the bedroom.

So after checking it out.. There is a "remote" app for the iPad. So main question: can I stream photos from my iPad to apple tv??

I always upload my photos to the iPad and never get the time to upload to the PS3.. At least in time to share with others. Be nice to pull pics from the iPad to display in an instant.
Keep in mind the older apple tv has a 160gb drive so I have every thing from the computer already synced so using the app on my iPhone or iPod touch or iPad allows to control what is already there. In saying that the older apple tv has not been upgraded to support the new features in ios4.2. The new apple tv and os 4.2 on any supported device provides every thing you need in each app ie music, Picts and movies without using remote as it streams what ever is on that device

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone gotten the apple tv and then cancelled their cable? I am strongly considering doing just that and cutting the. cable chord so that I am free.

I thought I might do that before getting my Apple TV. I envisioned getting 3 or so for all TVs.

However, after owning it for a month I think it is still premature to cut the cable--well in my case satellite.

For one thing I just don't get that "turn it on and let's go" feeling like I do with regular TV. I find it annoying about ATV that there is no way to have my own "favorites." So if I found a podcast or radio stream I like I would have to find it again from scratch should I want to hear it again. That is pretty lame IMO.

The other thing is news and weather. I would like a quick way to watch news, preferably live, right away. But instead I have to search for a podcast, hope that it is current, and then watch it. And, again, I would have to do that each time I want to watch it.

And sports is pretty much non existent. :(

Moreover the whole UI does not seem quite what I expect from Apple. While it is snappy enough, there could be many more features. Heck we should be able to perhaps make a "channel guide" of some sort... something that makes it more friendly to browse what is available that is customized for what we individually like.

So right now it almost feels like it is another iTunes PC. Doesn't quite have that "TV" feel yet. While AirPlay is very cool, most anything on my iPad is already in my iTunes PC which is all accessible already to ATV. Many of the apps I would want to see on ATV from my iPad only work with sound, not video. Ironically YouTube lets me see video and sound on ATV but YouTube is already on ATV. Would be nice for, say, a game that isn't too graphics intensive to show there.

I still like ATV. It just hasn't been quite the cut-the-cord device I was hoping for. Yet.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts