What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brian, it's too late now, but the difference is, Android does not yet differentiate between phone and tablet apps in the market. This is both bad AND good...the bad is obvious, the good is that all apps will work on the tablet...a shortcoming that is annoying with the ipad.

The solution is that the best place to search is not the app store, but online. Go to websites and see what people think, THEN find it in the market place.

I liked dolphin allot on my android tablet: very user friendly, reliable, and customizable with some VERY nice add ons.

But, probably too late, if you already switched to ipad.

For me, I like both, but went with ipad in the end as my tablet of choice.

The xoom was a few updates away from being great. Overall it offered me a lot more than my iPad does.....but, Motorola obviously has no interest in the U.K market. If they were talking with their U.K customers and keeping us informed I would have stuck it out with the xoom but i wasn't prepared to take the risk and in say a years time be stuck with an unsupported unusable tablet. Motoroloa and the xoom just aren't who is going to bring an android tablet to the iPad llevel. I do believe though in a year to 2 years there will be a very impressive android tablet available.

Android will be fine in spite of Moto.
Their phone qc is horrendous and the only thing worse is their support. Now they've taken a jump into the tablet market and made the same mistakes.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't have an Android tablet but I just bought my first Android phone this weekend. I don't hate it enough to return it for the iPhone 4, and there are some things I like, but I think from now on it will be strictly Apple for me. There were too many mild annoyances and surprises since I bought the phone. The slightly larger screen and expandable memory are keeping me from paying the restocking fee and returning it.

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would really love try a non Motorola tablet running android just to see how much moto did have an negative effect on the OS

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
I would really love try a non Motorola tablet running android just to see how much moto did have an negative effect on the OS

Plenty of stores have them to try out. Honestly, Samsung makes a great machine, but it wasn't as polished as I need my devices to be.

Reaction score

Honeycomb 3.2 is starting to push to some devices already. If you tried the Xoom with 3.0, the moto effect was very slight. With 3.1 the screen resolution and weight became more of a factor.
Had my Galaxy Tab 10.1 come with 3.0 I would not have gotten it and Samsung is reporting 3.2 push very soon , adding not only more smoothness with Touch Wiz addition but enabling my USB adaptor to do more than mice, keyboards, up to 32 gb jump drives, SD card adaptors and some printers

Support Our Troops!!

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Xoom and Galaxy Tab are overpriced and unpolished IMO. They are basically the same price as the iPad and certainly not any better.

The dark horse that I see making a difference is the Asus Transformer Tablet (not sure if it's been brought up in this discussion yet?). My Android buddy got one and I have to say I came away really impressed:

Asus Transformer Tablet (10 hr battery, dual-core 1ghz Tegra 2, 1gb RAM, 10" screen, HDMI out, front and rear cameras, and Honeycomb) - 399$
Keyboard Dock (when put together the battery lasts 16 hrs for the unit, it also has a multi-touch pad, two USB ports, and a built-in SD card reader) - 150$

For 550$ and change it is a REALLY solid piece of equipment. Even when docked you can still use the touchscreen capabilities, and its VERY snappy. We had music playing, multiple tabs loading, and several live widgets going and it seemed very smooth with very little chopiness. It wasn't "iPad smooth" but then again it has true multi-tasking enabled.

I am a big Apple guy, especially on the personal computing end (I have had a g4 tower, a g5 tower, and now running a Mac Pro tower in addition to the iPad2 and Macbook Pro. That being said, the Android guys are coming hard and fast. I've already switched over to Android for my phone, and I most definitely will have options when the iPad3 or iPad2 HD drops not long from now.

Which is great for the consumer, assuming they can stop suing each other long enough to continue to innovate lol

Reaction score
My favorite useless lawsuit between then is the one where Apple is suing Samsung because the Galaxy phone is "rectangular with rounded corners like the iPhone" . They claim to have patented the rectangular with rounded corners design. I agree with suit for the design steal Samsung did on icons totally. That's a no brainer but for Apple to win the one I previously mentioned they'll have to sue everybody or look like it's sour grapes over the icon suit . If Samsung loses they may retaliate by stopping or slowing production of Ipad screen parts, leaving only LG( the one that made the sub par Ipad 2 screens), as the only screen parts manufacturer. It could be a lose/lose for everyone.
Yes the Transformer is making waves in the Android world but I'm more intrigued by Amazon plans to up the hardware ante this fall as well as have Honeycomb 3.2
Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my Android smartphone and would have bought an Android tablet, but there are not enough apps out yet for them. If that changes down the road I can always sell this and buy one. Always a market for a used iPad.

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Honeycomb 3.2 is starting to push to some devices already. If you tried the Xoom with 3.0, the moto effect was very slight. With 3.1 the screen resolution and weight became more of a factor.
Had my Galaxy Tab 10.1 come with 3.0 I would not have gotten it and Samsung is reporting 3.2 push very soon , adding not only more smoothness with Touch Wiz addition but enabling my USB adaptor to do more than mice, keyboards, up to 32 gb jump drives, SD card adaptors and some printers

Support Our Troops!!

I live in great britain and one of the main reasons for me returning my xoom was the fact that 3.2 was starting to get rolled out in the U.S yet in the U.K we had no date of when 3.1 was coming and motorola had no interest in let us know..

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Xoom and Galaxy Tab are overpriced and unpolished IMO. They are basically the same price as the iPad and certainly not any better.

The dark horse that I see making a difference is the Asus Transformer Tablet (not sure if it's been brought up in this discussion yet?). My Android buddy got one and I have to say I came away really impressed:

Asus Transformer Tablet (10 hr battery, dual-core 1ghz Tegra 2, 1gb RAM, 10" screen, HDMI out, front and rear cameras, and Honeycomb) - 399$
Keyboard Dock (when put together the battery lasts 16 hrs for the unit, it also has a multi-touch pad, two USB ports, and a built-in SD card reader) - 150$

For 550$ and change it is a REALLY solid piece of equipment. Even when docked you can still use the touchscreen capabilities, and its VERY snappy. We had music playing, multiple tabs loading, and several live widgets going and it seemed very smooth with very little chopiness. It wasn't "iPad smooth" but then again it has true multi-tasking enabled.

I am a big Apple guy, especially on the personal computing end (I have had a g4 tower, a g5 tower, and now running a Mac Pro tower in addition to the iPad2 and Macbook Pro. That being said, the Android guys are coming hard and fast. I've already switched over to Android for my phone, and I most definitely will have options when the iPad3 or iPad2 HD drops not long from now.

Which is great for the consumer, assuming they can stop suing each other long enough to continue to innovate lol

that is exactly what the xoom offered. After a few hours with it i loved it. After a few days i hated it. Honeycomb 3.0 is absolutely terrible. If i was in the U.S i would have stuck with the xoom as they are recieving support from moto.

Reaction score
True that. Honeycomb 3.1 is a lot better than 3.0
Fwiw, I get better battery life on my Tab than my Ipad. I get 9+ hours on the Ipad and just under 10 on the Tab, both running wifi only and screens as low as they will go

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah 3.1 had a lot of improvements over 3.0. 3.2 is about to be released for the Transformer as well.

I used (and still own) the very first Android phone, the google G1. It was ok at the time, but still behind it's Apple counterparts. It's only recently that the Android phones are on equal (at least) footing with the iPhone. iOS is still more polished, but with Android you have tons more options and freedom.

With the Tablets, things are shaking up a bit differently. The Android devices are coming fast and cheap, and they will continue to get better. IMO Apple's problem is that they don't want the iPad to replace your iMac OR your Macbook Pro or Air. They want the iPad to SUPPLEMENT those computing devices. And in my household thats actually true lol.

But not everyone has the need (or the resources) to have all those devices. This is where the Android tablets will grow, because there will be (and pretty much already is with Asus Transformer) Android tablets that are powerful and versatile enough to replace peoples Laptops/netbooks/PC's.

People can accept that their iPhone doesn't have flash, or doesn't do a lot of things a laptop or computer can do. It's a mobile device and people can live with that. The tablet blurs the line, and I don't think you'll see the iPad dominate forever once the Android tablets catch up. Still love my iPad2 though for the time being lol

EP2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People can accept that their iPhone doesn't have flash, or doesn't do a lot of things a laptop or computer can do. It's a mobile device and people can live with that. The tablet blurs the line, and I don't think you'll see the iPad dominate forever once the Android tablets catch up. Still love my iPad2 though for the time being lol

Not sure if it works on the iphone, but Iswifter works amazingly well on the ipad for displaying flash content - in fact, it often plays flash video better than my Android tablet! LOL

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People at my school say android is better simply because android phones have the most market share. What i hate about this argument is that you're comparing 2 different things. The ipad is a device...android is an operating system.

Android has most of the phone market because its on many different phones (samsung, htc, motorola). If you were to compare a SINGLE android phone to the iphone, the iphone dominates it.

If you wanna make a fair comparison, compare android to iOS. This means all android devices against all iOS devices. IOS still dominates this way.

Reaction score
People at my school say android is better simply because android phones have the most market share. What i hate about this argument is that you're comparing 2 different things. The ipad is a device...android is an operating system.

Android has most of the phone market because its on many different phones (samsung, htc, motorola). If you were to compare a SINGLE android phone to the iphone, the iphone dominates it.

If you wanna make a fair comparison, compare android to iOS. This means all android devices against all iOS devices. IOS still dominates this way.

The one YOU like best is the best one. Everything else is semantics

Support Our Troops!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts