What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Asus honeycomb tablet + keyboard dock as a total replacement for my laptop and my ipad 2 as a gaming device. Honeycomb feels like you're using a PC. There are many differences between the two OS's, but I can't deny that the app quality for iOs is years beyond anything Android has right now, especially games.

Being a power-user, I would never be able to pull off a day of using the ipad to do what I do with my Honeycomb tablet - it's just a completely different experience.

Memory issues seem to be common with my ipad, even considering that it's the ipad 2 I always get low memory warnings when using a tabbed browser or running certain games - I NEVER get those issues with Honeycomb, but the RAM is doubled on my Honeycomb tablet, so that should be expected I guess.

In the end, it's user preference - my wife had an Android tablet and I was in utter hell because of all her complaints with it, so I went out and bought her an ipad. Now, she couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Asus honeycomb tablet + keyboard dock as a total replacement for my laptop and my ipad 2 as a gaming device. Honeycomb feels like you're using a PC. There are many differences between the two OS's, but I can't deny that the app quality for iOs is years beyond anything Android has right now, especially games.

Being a power-user, I would never be able to pull off a day of using the ipad to do what I do with my Honeycomb tablet - it's just a completely different experience.

Memory issues seem to be common with my ipad, even considering that it's the ipad 2 I always get low memory warnings when using a tabbed browser or running certain games - I NEVER get those issues with Honeycomb, but the RAM is doubled on my Honeycomb tablet, so that should be expected I guess.

In the end, it's user preference - my wife had an Android tablet and I was in utter hell because of all her complaints with it, so I went out and bought her an ipad. Now, she couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Pretty much an iconic example above. I couldn't replace my quadcore laptop with a honeycomb tablet but it would come much closer to satisfying my laptop requirements than an iPad. And I can certainly imagine that someone with less demanding requirements for a laptop could use an Android tablet + keyboard as a true laptop replacement.

Likewise, I spend quite a bit of time administering and maintaining my wife's 15" laptop. It's an excellent PC but far more than she really needs to meet her requirements. An iPad would easily have satisfied her at half the cost of her PC and would eliminate the need for me to maintain her system on an ongoing basis.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the surveys, the satisfaction level with iOS is much higher than with Android or any other system. It usually just depends on each person's needs. In a couple of years, the issue may be moot if things continue to go wrong for Android manufacturers. The ITC has ruled for Apple and against HTC recently. If nothing changes the ruling, Android may be doomed. Microsoft has been reported considering licensing their patents involved for about $15/unit. This puts MS in a win-win situation. They will make more money on their licensing for Android manufacturers than on WP7 sales. And the higher costs will make manufacturers migrate to WP7. Since Apple does not license iOS, they will get royalties on Android devices as long as they continue to make them.

Since Google says Android is open source, they will not get involved with the legal squabble and the manufacturers are on their own. OTOH, Microsoft has in thier licensing for WP7 a guarantee of full support if the legal status of WP7 is challenged in any way.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think your prediction of the death of Android devices is way, way, way premature. Perhaps in Mr. Jobs' and Mr. Gates' fantasies (and those of their respective and warring fans) but not in the real world.

Reaction score
I remember when Verizon released the Dare dumbphone that some touted as being "the iPhone killer ". Look how that turned out.
IPhone made the giant, arrogant, non listening, Microsoft go back to the drawing board for its mobile platform. With the release of the "200 changes" to ios5 to the public it looks like Apple won't be like MS and wait until too late to listen.
Apple never said the Ipad could replace a desktop, it was the users in reviews that said it.
Since getting my Tab I haven't needed to use Splashtop to make my tablet do what I need to do on the fly. It's a wonderful program for those who want to stick with ios but need more power and multi tasking than their Ipad can muster.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not my prediction. I am simply regurgitating opinions by experts in the field. Many of the pundits are doomsayers, but I try not to give them too much credence. These are considerations by those who try to stay objective. I really hate the litigation obsession in electronics today, but until it changes, it is a fact of life. For many of the majors, it is a lucrative source of their income. It also puts the lie to 'open source'. One of the virtues of licensed technologies as that part of the fee goes to protecting the license. If the technology is just thrown out to the public, then the users are the ones liable when things go wrong. For Android to survive a worse case situation, someone with clout, like the Chinese government or some other agency would have to protect the technology. Not likely since the technology could still be banned without a licensing agreement.

My expectation is that Google, or another group will step in and manage the licensing of Android. Microsoft will establish a price for its part that will make WP7 attractive to manufacturers, but not destroy Android. Apple will charge an amount that will make it worth their effort, but not raise too much ire, striking a balance between profit and PR.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
"Apple never said the Ipad could replace a desktop, it was the users in reviews that said it."
Good point. I feel certain that it is in the process of replacing many desktops... and laptops

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
Good point. I feel certain that it is in the process of replacing many desktops... and laptops

Honestly, if I didn't have to have an a photo editing machine and oodles of storage, this would probably be my only system (yes, I'm typing on my iPad after I've disabled all signatures advertising as such).

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has several advantages over its competition that should not be overlooked. Steve Jobs learned a lot from when the Apple computers were first built. And he has worked that knowledge into a brilliant operation scheme.

Everyone wonders why Apple has 70 billion dollars in cash lying around. The answer is that it allows Apple to make investments without going through the banking system. Apple invests in a lot of startup technologies, bringing enough cash in to quickly develop the products and build the factories to produce the product. For that, they get exclusive rights to that technology for 2-3 years and special pricing. By the time the rest of the industry has access to the technology, the manufacturing price has come down to where Apple gets more profit. Plus the fact, that with cash, they can buy in tens of millions units, while most companies will only buy a few hundred thousand at a time. Bulk buying reduces the unit price and keeps an advantage in market share.

Some of the technologies that Apple control are beyond the ability of other companies. One extraordinary example of this is the aluminum machining technology used to make Apple's laptops - this remains a trade secret that Apple continues to have exclusive access to and allows them to make laptops with (for now) unsurpassed strength and lightness.

The so-called Apple premium is the cost of advanced design and technology. By the time the rest of the industry catches up, Apple is well into the high profit portion of the technology that fuuns the next new technology. An example of this might be Thunderbolt. Apple is making this a standard on all their machines. It is not technology that any other company could introduce, but eventually all companies will probably offer it. It will be years before the accessory market will fully integrate Thunderbolt products, but Apple has the ability to wait.

Yes, Apple can seem controlling in many ways, but that is because they built their fortune on having a two year jump on the competition. If a competitor can bypass that advantage, it will hurt the company's future. So it is essential to keep things secret, and reduce the potential for damage.

Reaction score
info said:

Honestly, if I didn't have to have an a photo editing machine and oodles of storage, this would probably be my only system (yes, I'm typing on my iPad after I've disabled all signatures advertising as such).

I got my Ipad to replace my ailing desktop usage as much as possible. My goal with my smartphone and tablet was to turn my desktop into a data repository to the eternal hard drive and CD/DVD backup maker.
Splashtop is, as I stated before, an awesome plan B for power users but defeated my purposes.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought a xoom 2 weeks ago. Being someone who is very anti apple the ipad came up but was quickly dismissed. I have a touch for music and thats as far as it goes.
Had been looking for a tablet for a while but nothing to rival the iPad was about so put the need for a tablet on hold.
Saw that motorola had bought this xoom out at the begining of the year 2 weeks ago and thought i would give it a pop.
First impressions where very good. It wasnt as slick as an ipad but it was never going to be. Apple have to looks, styling department sorted. The first few hours with it and i was pleased with my purchase. the odd browser crash :/ nothing to worry about right? Can download a browser from the app store. Was looking forward to using the s.d slot, one of the main reasons i bought it, loading up my music and movies on a card i had. Needs an update to activate the s.d slot. cool no probs right???? and this is where my deep extreme hate for the xoom started.
So.. no update is currently available for the U.K market. Motorola have given no date for an update and do not give any type of feedback to the customer. 2nd update is currently being rolled out in the U.S. I now dont have use of the sd slot and have no idea when i will.
:(
On to the app store to find a stable browser. First problem there is no way of searching for apps that are designed for tablets:(
Finally found a nice opera browser, but doesnt work with facebook :(
found another that works with facebook but has ridiculous typing lag.
So i had about 4 browsers for 4 different uses lol
Anyway after 2 weeks i was getting fed up and had had enough. I chose to return it got a refund and went for the iPad2...
Very very pleased with my dicision. Yes its not as open as a xoom and i will always hate apple for how they want us to be their robots. But its a lovely tablet that basically does everything I want hassle free. After 2 weeks with my xoom its a delight :)
smooth effortless browsing.

AJTaliesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brian, it's too late now, but the difference is, Android does not yet differentiate between phone and tablet apps in the market. This is both bad AND good...the bad is obvious, the good is that all apps will work on the tablet...a shortcoming that is annoying with the ipad.

The solution is that the best place to search is not the app store, but online. Go to websites and see what people think, THEN find it in the market place.

I liked dolphin allot on my android tablet: very user friendly, reliable, and customizable with some VERY nice add ons.

But, probably too late, if you already switched to ipad.

For me, I like both, but went with ipad in the end as my tablet of choice.

Antgod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm like most who have a android phone and a ipad2. Tried different android tablet because I didn't like apple and enjoy the android phones and concept. However none of the tablets come close to the iPad so I had to settle with it. I don't mind tinkering with my phone or iPad (it's jailbroke) but for the price the tablet should operate better than the androids do.and this what 5 -6 months and than you'll see thing is laughable .I have google tv and they say the same thing and still nothing, I love google but alway wait with them or root it. Why do the loyal google folk have to do all the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brian, it's too late now, but the difference is, Android does not yet differentiate between phone and tablet apps in the market. This is both bad AND good...the bad is obvious, the good is that all apps will work on the tablet...a shortcoming that is annoying with the ipad.

The solution is that the best place to search is not the app store, but online. Go to websites and see what people think, THEN find it in the market place.

I liked dolphin allot on my android tablet: very user friendly, reliable, and customizable with some VERY nice add ons.

But, probably too late, if you already switched to ipad.

For me, I like both, but went with ipad in the end as my tablet of choice.

The xoom was a few updates away from being great. Overall it offered me a lot more than my iPad does.....but, Motorola obviously has no interest in the U.K market. If they were talking with their U.K customers and keeping us informed I would have stuck it out with the xoom but i wasn't prepared to take the risk and in say a years time be stuck with an unsupported unusable tablet. Motoroloa and the xoom just aren't who is going to bring an android tablet to the iPad llevel. I do believe though in a year to 2 years there will be a very impressive android tablet available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts