What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad USB Keyboard Trick in 4.2?

jayuph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(No reply under general, so I thought I'd ask the same question in the hacking forum.)

Can someone with an iPad running iOS 4.21 and the camera connection kit please test if you can connect a USB keyboard and type in a text field? This has been unofficially supported in previous iOS versions and I want to make sure it still works before I upgrade.

(Note: You will probably see a "this device is unsupported" mesg upon plugging in. Just click OK and then you should then be able to type. USB keyboards with built-in hubs or extra non-standard buttons might not work.)

Thanks,
Jeff

Mros65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB Keyboard Works

Just tested it and it works OK, just like you said it displayed the unsupported device message, I disregarded and went into Notes and typed on with no issues. I use the BT apple keyboard and that worked good also after upgrade.

Marco

jimmy4444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My USB keyboard though the camera connection kit has STOPPED working since the 4.2 upgrade and I am very frustrated. Can anyone confirm?

Xv3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple reduced the maximum power which the USB device can withdraw to 20ma from 100ma in ios 4.2. And here is the problemen with most USB devices which need more.

You now need an seperated powered USB hub as an workaround or try another USB keyboard.

Last edited:

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple reduced the maximum power which the USB device can withdraw to 20ma from 100ma in ios 4.2. And here is the problemen with most USB devices which need more.

You now need an seperated powered USB hub as an workaround or try another USB keyboard.

Just curious....how did you find this information? Good information to know.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Haha. If that is true, its just more evidence of why I dislike Apple as a company. They figure out that their accessories only need X amount of power and "upgrade" the OS so that only their accessories and the few non Apple accessories that fit within their parameters work.

Thank GOD that Apple's marketshare on phones is shrinking and that their marketshare on computers remains low. It would be a disaster if this type of behavior became standard for the industry.

Most reactions

Latest posts