What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Usage Rises Again After Brief Holiday Blip

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Tablet_usage_share_Chitika.JPG

Great news for Apple today from Chitika via iDownload Blog, with the publication of Chitika’s latest web traffic figures, which take in January 2013, and which show that Apple’s iPad is back up to an 81% share of web traffic in the US and Canada, after a slight fall in the holiday period from 89% to 79%. Chitika’s data comes from many millions of devices that come into contact with its ad network, so it is usually pretty accurate. The figures also show that the iPad’s closest rival was Amazon’s Kindle Fire, although it still lagged way, way behind, with just 7.7% share. Despite all the trumpeting in certain corners of the media about Samsung being the new Apple, Samsung’s Galaxy Tab came in third, with a tiny 3.9% share. iDownload Blog points out that the iPhone 5 also beat the competition from Samsung’s Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note models to reign supreme in the smartphone usage share chart as well, with 8.27% share, in contrast to nearest rival Galaxy SIII’s 4.29%.

[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Chitika: iPad recovers from post-Christmas dip, now back to 81% share

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too funny!!! I never stopped using my iPad!!! I have been non-stop since 8/2011 LOL!!!

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes you wonder what owners of all those other tablets are using them for.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This data doesn't come from ads, it comes from the id of the web browser.

You may be right but the article said the data comes from contact with its ad network. If you block the ads does that still count as contact?

It is hard to believe that the other tablet users do not use a browser. Is the iPad market share 81%?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may be right but the article said the data comes from contact with its ad network. If you block the ads does that still count as contact?

It is hard to believe that the other tablet users do not use a browser. Is the iPad market share 81%?

Add blockers only block the display of ads on the end user device, not their delivery from the server.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes you wonder what owners of all those other tablets are using them for.

I own three other tablets now, besides two iPads. I rarely surf on the non-iPads. I use my two Kindle Fire HD 7" to read books, watch movies and listen to audiobooks. I use my Samsung 7" to watch videos on SD cards on trips. I do most of my tablet surfing on iPad. The Web traffic from my three non-iPads is nearly non-existent.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Add blockers only block the display of ads on the end user device, not their delivery from the server.

One method of ad blocking is to edit the hosts file and set all the ad sites to localhost. I know one person who does that to block ads in apps on android.

Ad blockers work in a number of ways - some prevent the connection and others simply stop the display. Ad blockers on firefox can use the gecko engine to register a content policy which prevent the ad site from being accessed. So it is not true to say that ad blockers only block the display of ads.

Have a look at the ad block plus FAQ for detailed information on how one ad blocker works.

However I suspect the majority of tablet owners are not using ad blockers and the reality is that the figures are wrong unless, as KayKayKay says, most users of other tablets do not use browsers.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However I suspect the majority of tablet owners are not using ad blockers and the reality is that the figures are wrong unless, as KayKayKay says, most users of other tablets do not use browsers.

I don't know whether this possibility is widely used, but one of the Kindle Fire features is a child lock, so you can limit your kids' use of the Kindle to certain things. I've not explored it, because I happily have no kids, lol. But if I wanted to maybe have my imaginary kid just read books and use apps, without browsing, I might be able to on Kindle. One of my colleagues bought his kids Kindle Fires because they're cheap and have child controls.

Most reactions

Latest posts