What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad unlocking itself

Dthackwray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope someone can give a bit of guidance. When I lock my iPad screen, every 20 seconds or so the screen flashes up as if I have pressed the lock key or home key again (flashing up with the swipe to unlock screen).

I have checked all settings and can't see anything that would be set to cause this to happen, from testing with my smart-cover looks like it happens at any time and really drains the battery. Has this happened to anyone else or can anyone offer any kind if guidance?

Thanks in advance everyone

Dave

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting your iPad. Sometimes things like this happen due to odd little faults in the software and can be rectified but rebooting.
To do this hold the power key down until the turn off swipe appears, swipe this and your iPad will turn off, then turn it back on like normal. If thats also failed you can try doing a soft reset. To do this hold the power and home key till the iPad turns off completely. Now turn it back on like normal (this will take slightly longer than usual but don't worry thats normal). Hopefully this should clear it. If not come back and hopefully we can find something else to do.
I'll just point out that this is worth doing whenever you are having problems with your iPad :).
Hope I've helped!

Sent via iPF from my iPad2 iOS 5.1.

OP
D

Dthackwray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply MrLuke, tried both just switching off and holding lock and home keys but neither have worked. Once the screen is locked after about 15 seconds flashes up as if I had pressed a key to bring up the unlock screen. Really getting a little wound up about why this is happening every time the screen is locked, means the battery is getting eaten up and I constantly have a flashing iPad

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you recently dropped your iPad at all? This could have knocked something out of place and may be causing the iPad to think the button is being pressed. If you haven't dropped it then I'd like to think it isn't a hardware fault and we can therefore rule out a trip to apple. If I were you I'd think about restoring to a time before it was playing up and seeing whether that fixed it.

OP
D

Dthackwray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely haven't dropped it, it's been happening since I bought it just over a month ago. Think I may have to head to an apple store to see if they can offer any wisdom when they see the problem. Thanks again for your suggestions

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its been happening since you bought it I would take it straight back with your receipt and ask for them to exchange it or at the very at least get it repaired. That should not be happening on a brand new iPad and must be a fault. If you have the receipt and can show that it's happening they should sort it out without a fuss. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

dawidbrook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might be having problem with your iOS. Firstly, you must try restarting your iPad and if there is no change you have to restore your iOS or you may have to update it. This problem might occur due to untethered jailbreak with your iDevice.

Most reactions

Latest posts