What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + TV

clamshell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had an iPad, so far, but I am hoping/planning to get one. One function that would be important to me is receiving television on the iPad, but I have not been able to find any info about doing this. I am speaking here of live TV, such as news broadcasts.

I have heard that it might be possible with an Elgato Eye TV device, and also that there is a free app that might work.

Does anyone have any experience in using an iPad to receive TV?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several service providers that give access to live TV.

FilmOn.com is one of them (in the UK, at least). There's plenty of choice. Also, the BBC iPlayer in the UK (will be available world-wide very soon) gives access to all the BBC TV and radio channels.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

FilmOn.com is one of them (in the UK, at least). There's plenty of choice. Also, the BBC iPlayer in the UK (will be available world-wide very soon) gives access to all the BBC TV and radio channels.

Tim
Scotland

Do these apps require the user to obtain a TV license in order to watch legally?

In previous letters from the TV agency (gosh, it has some fancy name which just slipped my mind), they had written that a TV license is required even when the user has no TV, but uses the BBC iPlayer on a PC. However, if the iPlayer is released worldwide, then they are clearly offering the service free of charge, as they cannot expect people outside the UK to buy a TV license. Would this suggest that the license situation has changed?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

Do these apps require the user to obtain a TV license in order to watch legally?

In previous letters from the TV agency (gosh, it has some fancy name which just slipped my mind), they had written that a TV license is required even when the user has no TV, but uses the BBC iPlayer on a PC. However, if the iPlayer is released worldwide, then they are clearly offering the service free of charge, as they cannot expect people outside the UK to buy a TV license. Would this suggest that the license situation has changed?

No - the situation has not changed. Users outside the UK will pay a subscription, users in the UK will be able to use it free, as they always have done, but need a TV licence. The official position is that you need a TV licence if you possess equipment capable of receiving a television signal - be that terrestrial, satellite, Internet or whatever. So, even if you have a TV but only ever watch DVDs you still need a licence because you possess equipment capable of receiving a television signal. Otherwise the law would be more-or-less unenforceable.

Tim
Scotland

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really, in the UK you still have to buy a licence to watch TV ? Surely there is no where else on earth that this is a requirement. How is it policed? Do you get TV Licence Police knocking on your door to inspect if you have a TV ?
I actually would like to have a capability to watch TV within range of any signal transmitted free to air on my iPad. On a MBP or MB, the Elgato has the device that can do this, as well as give you recording capacity.
But even with an App, would you would need an antenna and coax to get a good signal.?
The tiny antenna that comes in the kit seems hardly good enough.
In my case I want to be able to watch TV at work and have the ipad to do emails and chat, plus watch a football game or news during my shift which can be quite boring at times just hanging around.
I do not want to spend $100- $200 for one of these Elgato devices unless it can do this for me.
If the Elgato can't, is there any device that can ?

Reaction score
Yes, the UK requires the users to pay a TV fee, but only if you actually watch TV, which is fair. Other countries, such as Germany are stricter, they require anyone to pay GEZ, a tax for public media (radio&TV), who has a device capable of accessing these contents.

Most reactions

Latest posts