What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad to Windows 7

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received an IPad with my Cadillac purchase. I have no idea what IPad release it is or how to find out.
My question: I connected the IPAD to my Desktop with Windows 7 Professional 64bit and got the message a driver was installed. What this did is a mystery. I was hoping that the IPad would connect to the internet through this connection. I want to upgrade software and add pdf files to the IPad from both the PC and Internet.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice little sweetener there, I have to say.

You can find out which iPad it is by using this checklist

No camera means its an iPad 1.
Microphone key on the keyboard and 30 pin dock connector means its an iPad 3.
New style connector means it's an iPad 4.
Otherwise it's an iPad 2.
I won't insult your intelligence by telling you how to identify an iPad mini. Not all people appreciate Monty Python type humor.

Welcome to the forum. Ill go digging for some more info for you and edit this post with them when I find stuff you'll need.

First thing to do is download iTunes 11 onto your PC. It's not just a media player. It is your interface to your iPad, and is all but essential.

Mimted

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connected my iPad to iTunes on my windows 7 laptop and read all the info it gave me, also was able to update it to the latest one. I was given miine about 4 months ago as at that time did not know which one it was, but now with the updated version I am there with everyone else with the latest ones. Hope this is some help to you.

socialworkgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only person who doesn't know which iPad version they own! Mine was a long-awaited gift from my hubby. I didn't know that there is a 3, a 4, and the mini. I have the newest regular-sized iPad and I love it! I'm looking forward to learning many tips and tricks on this forum!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it used to be simple, but times change and a lot has happened. There are many competing tablets out there now, and Apple is working hard to stay competitive, so the changes are coming thick and fast.

All software for the iPad comes from the App Store, so you'll need an AppleID if you don't already have one. To get one and set it up to make purchases, go to this webpage.

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Next, go to Store in iTunes on your PC and select "Authorize this computer", then follow on screen instructions. Part of this process is setting up that computer to receive your downloads.

I recently started this thread with some tips for new users. You might find it useful. It's far from exhaustive, but it does give a few pointers to get you started.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/99824-your-new-ipad.html

More will follow as I think of stuff.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just received an IPad with my Cadillac purchase
Hey thanks for the tip. Will definitely ask for that with our next Corolla purchase.
umudypu9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
Hey thanks for the tip. Will definitely ask for that with our next Corolla purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahahahahahaha :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was hoping that the IPad would connect to the internet through this connection.

While I don't doubt that someone has figured out how to connect to the internet through the plug on the iPad, I believe the accepted method is to use wireless (wifi). Plugging your iPad into the computer via USB will allow access to your picture library (via windows explorer) or to sync your iPad via iTunes. The "driver" is a small software program that allows your computer to speak to this particular device.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oberkc said:
While I don't doubt that someone has figured out how to connect to the internet through the plug on the iPad, I believe the accepted method is to use wireless (wifi). Plugging your iPad into the computer via USB will allow access to your picture library (via windows explorer) or to sync your iPad via iTunes. The "driver" is a small software program that allows your computer to speak to this particular device.

You can't connect an iPad to the Internet through the dock connector.

OP
C

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a camera and 30pin connector. I will look around for a microphone key.
When I connect the IPAD to the PC is ITUNES the interface for all actions between them?

IPAD only connects through a Wireless? That would be very bad. My router interferes with my base phones remote.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a camera and 30pin connector. I will look around for a microphone key.
When I connect the IPAD to the PC is ITUNES the interface for all actions between them?

Yes, that's correct, and as has been mentioned, your Internet capability is generally through wifi, not through the connector cable. Somehow, I managed to miss that bit out in my other posts. If you don't have one, you will need a wireless router, or a trip to Starbucks.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't connect an iPad to the Internet through the dock connector.

That is true...I cannot. I am not in a position to say that NOBODY can, however. I suspect that there is someone, somewhere, who has figured out how to do this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oberkc said:
That is true...I cannot. I am not in a position to say that NOBODY can, however. I suspect that there is someone, somewhere, who has figured out how to do this.

I'm afraid not. It's simply not possible for anyone to connect an iPad to the Internet through the dock connector. iPads can only connect to the Internet through WiFi or cellular data connections, in the case of WiFi+cellular iPads.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While iTunes is the way that it appears apple intends you to sync and interface your iPad and PC, that is not to say that there are not other interfaces. Windows explorer has access to your iPad picture folders via USB cable. There are available apps (fileapp pro, for example) that can also let one move files via USB cable. Still, if you are not going to rely on the "cloud" for your syncing and backup needs, iTunes (via USB or wifi) is the way to go in my experience.

Last edited:
OP
C

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to download the free apps mentioned to the PC and from there to the IPAD through the docking USB?
If I plug the IPAD into the Cadillac USB port, will it connect to the internet through ONSTAR?
In Fact will proximity to ONSTAR in the car allow it to connect to the internet?

Last edited:

Most reactions