What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad shows AT&T what is wrong with 3G

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A VIP with AT&T said that the iPad showed them that the public were more interested in lower price monthly rates without long commitments than getting free hardware. The old holdover system of bribing people with free, or cheaper phone by making them take out a 2 year contract is not appealing to users any more. Netbooks/laptops with 3G cards were not selling under that scenario, but the iPad 3G is a big seller. Note that Verizon abandoned the contract program with the mifi iPad. They charge less for the 3G service and make the puck the same price as going to 3G in the AT&T 3G capable models.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A VIP with AT&T said that the iPad showed them that the public were more interested in lower price monthly rates without long commitments than getting free hardware. The old holdover system of bribing people with free, or cheaper phone by making them take out a 2 year contract is not appealing to users any more. Netbooks/laptops with 3G cards were not selling under that scenario, but the iPad 3G is a big seller. Note that Verizon abandoned the contract program with the mifi iPad. They charge less for the 3G service and make the puck the same price as going to 3G in the AT&T 3G capable models.

I don't know, none of the carriers seem to moving this way with their smart phones. I wish they would though. I hate being on the hook with a cell phone deal.

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
I don't know, none of the carriers seem to moving this way with their smart phones. I wish they would though. I hate being on the hook with a cell phone deal.

T-Mobile US will give you a discount if you don't take a subsidized phone - perhaps other carriers will move to this if T-Mobile finds it popular.

o2sys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually prefer a contract and receiving a nice d/c on a new phone...maybe because I'm older now and don't think of switching to new phones every other month...

Most reactions

Latest posts