What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad seems to be using more space than it should for pictures

bernadettecb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to clear up space on my Ipad. It is telling me i have used almost 8 gigs in my photo library and 1.4 in a synced library. this synced library just appeared recently and i don't know how it got there. and no way do i have almost 8 gigs of pictures in my photo library. I also have empty albums and i can't find a way to delete them. I have never understood itunes. i can't find a way to see my pictures in itunes. there is a bar on the bottom with a tab for photos but clicking it does nothing and it only refers to syncing and i certainly don't want to do that. I do most of my adding to the ipad through wondershare since as itunes has changed over the years i can't figure it out.
I am thinking that the ipad is holding onto my storage. I had evernote installed and it was telling me that i was using 3.1 gigs for it even though i didn't have any notebooks synced to offline use. In searching the web, i was advised to delete it and reinstall it and sure enough it went down to 134 mb. Any idea of what to do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just in general:

From time to time, it's a good idea to delete some of the apps and install them again. With time, they need more and more storage space, and removing an reinstalling them might free up some of it.

Deleting your email accounts (Settings - Mail, ...) and setting them up again will also remove files or images that you opened in the app and which still use some of your iPad's storage.
-------
Now to your photos:
The bar at the bottom in iTunes only shows which amount is used from your storage on the iPad. Clicking at it won't help opening photos.
You can, however, tell, when you place the cursor over the coloured parts, what uses your storage.
Did you also find a part there, called "Other", and does it use more space on your iPad than the rest of the apps? In this case it would be time to restore your device using iTunes on your computer.

Here are the instructions:
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

This will set back your device to factory settings. It's possible to restore from a backup afterwards.

I'm wondering why you see empty folders in your Photos app. Since iOS 8 was released, I didn't see these again. They were on my iPad when iOS 7 was installed, and I had imported photos from a camera directly to my iDevice, but had removed the images after importing them from the Imported folders in the app. Getting rid of them was a complicated procedure, which I don't have to go through again with iOS 8. So if your iPad is not up to date, install the latest software, and the folders should disappear.

If the other folders you're referring to are shared folders, these can be disabled in Settings - Photos & Camera - Photo Sharing (or iCloud Photo Sharing).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I'm wondering why you see empty folders in your Photos app. Since iOS 8 was released, I didn't see these again. "

JA. I too have empty folders in Photos/ albums on the Air 2. One is for Magic Jigsaw Puzzle photos and one for iCloud. I am running the latest update of iOS8.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"I'm wondering why you see empty folders in your Photos app. Since iOS 8 was released, I didn't see these again. "

JA. I too have empty folders in Photos/ albums on the Air 2. One is for Magic Jigsaw Puzzle photos and one for iCloud. I am running the latest update of iOS8.
I don't use Magic Jigsaw Puzzle and iCloud Photo Library. Maybe @bernadettecb has one of these too.

Most reactions