What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad security

garywhite1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wish Apple would put a physical locking device..... like a lap tops have...... to secure the iPad to a desk or a table.....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a good number on the market. I've not bothered to look for them and I've read about them just while shopping for iPad stuff or reading tech blogs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad apple doesn't do that. I would not own such a thing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad apple doesn't do that. I would not own such a thing.

I guess such locks might be useful in a commercial setting, so you can have people use the iPad without you monitoring so that someone doesn't walk off with it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I guess such locks might be useful in a commercial setting, so you can have people use the iPad without you monitoring so that someone doesn't walk off with it.

If you need this, then the better question is should you really be using an iPad? Such a thing defeats most of the benefits of and iPad. But good that this is addressed via third party rather than Apple building this into the iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need this, then the better question is should you really be using an iPad? Such a thing defeats most of the benefits of and iPad. But good that this is addressed via third party rather than Apple building this into the iPad.

I think that's up to the user. I'm not saying such a lock should be built-in, but it's a good optional accessory.

I saw such a use at a wine show -- looked like people were flipping thru screens on iPad to read about the wines they were tasting. Seemed useful to me, but I didn't bother using any of the iPads because I was just tagging along with a friend in the wine industry and was there to try new wines and nibble on treats, lol.

The show was for people in the trade and there were booths with one or two minders usually, who'd sometimes be outnumbered by visitors, so I imagine an iPad would help sell the wines, which seems like a good use. A lot of the booths had sign ups, too, so you could get on mailing lists and such, which would work better on iPad or any tablet than having someone scrawl their info on paper and having a person re-enter on a database, I imagine. Every once in awhile there'd be an untended booth, when minders must've gone to the bathroom or otherwise needed a break. People were still pouring and tasting, but those booths probably would've been better off with iPads than no one.

There was a thread on this forum previously about someone looking for a similar lock, so they could leave an iPad out for customers to look at portfolios.

Seems like there's lots of potential for such uses across industries.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw one of these devices in use in a local SAMs. What you end up with is a bunch of broken iPads. And they look really bad with a cracked screen.

The way to do this is the way apple does it in their stores. Build a plexiglass holder that is bolted to the table. The top is open so the user can touch the screen of the iPad. But the iPad is locked down so the iPad cannot be lifted and dropped.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw one of these devices in use in a local SAMs. What you end up with is a bunch of broken iPads. And they look really bad with a cracked screen.

The way to do this is the way apple does it in their stores. Build a plexiglass holder that is bolted to the table. The top is open so the user can touch the screen of the iPad. But the iPad is locked down so the iPad cannot be lifted and dropped.

Depends on use. Trade shows are torn down after a few days, for instance, so no one is going to ship or build anything permanent. And setups vary from show to show. I figure individual users are better judges of their uses than anyone else.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Depends on use. Trade shows are torn down after a few days, for instance, so no one is going to ship or build anything permanent. And setups vary from show to show. I figure individual users are better judges of their uses than anyone else.

They are not hard to set up even for temp use. It is really easy for someone to drop a tab that is tethered by a cord. Any user that picks that option will regret doing so.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are not hard to set up even for temp use. It is really easy for someone to drop a tab that is tethered by a cord. Any user that picks that option will regret doing so.

I didn't see people picking them up at the wine show. They were set on bar-height counters where they had bottles on display, and the iPad leashes ran behind the counters, so I didn't see the whole setup. It looked like people were just flipping the screens on the counters. Maybe there was enough play to pick them up, but I gather that that depends on how much play there is between the iPad and whatever you tether to. Everyone had a wineglass in hand, so picking up would've made it hard to flip the screen.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts