What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + second monitor

Robarooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPad or the dock have a connection to another monitor? Can the iPad drive another monitor? Can the desktop spread across the iPad screen and, say, my ViewSonic monitor? I am writing this as a completely ignorant Apple noob fanboy who wanted a Mac Air and now really, really wants an iPad. Thanks.

:- )

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Robarooney! The iPad will be able to support a VGA output and should hook up to a projector / external monitor. I'm not sure if you'll be able to span across two screens though. It might be one or the other.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless they update something in the iPhoneOS I doute it will be able to handle dual (non-mirrored) displays. It would be nice, if it could. There are possibilies for guessing party games and more detailed presentation notes... which with Keynote in the lineup would be a real blow if it can't run a presenters view.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll see this feature in version 4 of the OS :)

BadFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new to this!
Just got an ipad2 and would like to (sometimes!) use it in the back of the car for the kids to watch - no problem - but two back of seats -1 ipad! Have things moved on? Does anyone produce a monitor that can be added so all the kids in the back can watch?
I can my DVD players that do it but I now have my 'special' ipad!
Views?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
strap the ipad somewhere visible, and use bluetooth for audio.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Digital AV Adapter
applehd-sg.jpg

hdmi_20110302.jpg

or Apple Composite AV Cable
iphoneavcable.jpg

or Apple Component AV Cable
Component_3D_box_SCREEN.jpg

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Poser. Spot on.

if you do buy the composite or component, make sure its apple or you might have issues, if you don't buy apple, there is resupported4(cydia,paid app) to help you out.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirServer - Bring AirPlay and AirTunes to your Mac

Features | AirServer

Not available in the AppStore!!!!!!!

i think this is worth a look.
and only one device need it running.

i have it installed on my macbook air(always enabled), so on my iphone or ipad etc etc, i press the airplay tab next to play/pause, and my macbook will be listed under airplay devices.

if i have it running on my mac, ipad2 and apple tv, they all would show up under airplay menu if i'm searching for airplay on my iphone4, choose one and it will start playing right away on the screen of that device(of the 3)
video works good and with sound. I didn't test any apps at time of this posting, although i had this for a bit...

System Requirements
AirServer for Mac requires Mac OS X Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard / Lion (Intel/PPC)
AirServer for iOS requires Jailbroken device running iOS 4.0 or newer with Cydia installed
Streaming audio from computer: iTunes 9.2 or newer
Streaming video from computer: iTunes 10.2 or newer
Streaming from iOS device: iOS 4.2.1 or newer
DRM protected content is not supported
Devices must be on the same WiFi network
Streaming from 3rd party apps to AirServer on Mac requires Snow Leopard or Lion.

although it said, on the same wifi network, i cant wait for wifi direct.

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Airplayer to test out how that all looks. It's buggy as a 0.28 but. Gives one the feel. I'm going to wait for iOS 5 before going further. I'm also shocked Apple hasn't put AirPlay reception into iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts