What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad screen question

dart12992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friend's son broke his screen on ipad mini , screen still worked just all cracked. So I changed the screen and now the center is clear and about an inch on each side it is all colored lines with one black dot also. Did I get a bad screen or did I damage the LCD ?

Thanks for any help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Friend's son broke his screen on ipad mini , screen still worked just all cracked. So I changed the screen and now the center is clear and about an inch on each side it is all colored lines with one black dot also. Did I get a bad screen or did I damage the LCD ?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As to your question, probably impossible to say from this vantage point and would only be a guess; but take a look at one of the specific iFixit Guides to determine if you performed the steps properly (apologize if already done, but you did not tell us your level of experience in doing these repairs nor which 'guide' or 'video' you may have used).

I'm assuming that the iPad is no longer under warranty? If you cannot get the device to function properly, then a visit to an Apple store or an authorized Apple dealer/repair shop would at least provide an estimate - for older devices, a new one or an updated used/refurbished iPad is often the better choice. Good luck and let us know the results - this question does arise frequently. Dave

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Odds are you damaged the LCD. I did the same thing on my first mini repair (pricy mistake). The LCD is very delicate and is also glued to the back plate. If you try to lift it out without loosening the adhesive first, you will wreck the LCD.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it actually the screen or did you have a screen protector on it. I have a extra glass protector over my screen to keep the real screen from getting scratched.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it actually the screen or did you have a screen protector on it. I have a extra glass protector over my screen to keep the real screen from getting scratched.

Hi Thomas - yet again you're responding to an old thread (this one 1 1/2 y/o) - the OP has never returned - please look at the dates on previous posts.

NOW, you do raise the question of using a 'screen protector' - this has been a 'debated' issue here for a number of years, i.e. really needed or not? Apple presumably uses Corning's Gorilla Glass which is impressive and under normal use does not need extra-protection - wife & I have gone through 4 iPads and several iPhones w/o a problem - SO, opinions will vary but I do not feel the need for me, especially when using some type of screen cover. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 8.28.06 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts