What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Restaurant Menus - Quick & urgent please

zein83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently i my company got 24 iPad 1 these are for restaurant work
my manager asked me to create only three group in the desktop
and to create a customized screen saver from pics he provides in which the iPad won't go to sleep when i do not touch for a min screen saver begin, i search too much i didn't find any thing.
so please any one knows application regarding :

customizing a screen saver.
and app to change size of icons and groups to bigger

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no screen saver, only backgrounds for the lock and apps screens, but you can change the sleep to never in the Settings app under General > Auto-Lock.

I'm not sure what else you were trying to do, so if this didn't answer what you needed please elaborate.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and to create a customized screen saver from pics he provides in which the iPad won't go to sleep when i do not touch for a min screen saver begin, i search too much i didn't find any thing.

I do not know you or your eatery or your boss. So take no offence.

I think there are lots of people out there trying to find a way to integrate the iPad into their business and I think many will discover it is hard to do or perhaps impossible unless they JB. And again, no offence, but I think you should have done some heavy research before dropping twelve or so grand on devices that may or may not work as you think they will or should work.

The last thing I personally would do is adopt new technology without knowing exactly what I need to do and if there was a way to do what I think I want to do. I have been there and it was not pretty.

Again, no offence to you.

And lock out your boss or at least explain to him or her that he or she better not decide to upgrade the iOS or his or her apps (if you do JB) will stop working until he or she jailbreaks the updated firmware. If you use a tethered JB, your customers must not turn off the iPad or you no longer have a menu, if that is what you are looking to do.

I can well imagine many potential iPad users with zero information, no iPad experience, and a boat load of assumptions will find the iPad to be a crappy business tool because they think it will be just like using a PC.

I did my research and was upset to learn that I could not easily print to my brand new HP wireless printer, or change icons, or install other than iTunes software. Assumptions are never good.

So, to address your needs specifically:

If I understand you, when the customer turns on the iPad, he/she will see three separate groups of icons and nothing else? And you want a screen saver? And you want larger icons? I'll assume you want to lock access to things like settings and applications, iTunes, and the like, right?

What about syncing 24 devices? Is it even possible to do that on one computer? I think you are limited in the number of devices that can be tied to one iTunes account; that said, iOS 5 supposedly will allow that to happen. Corrections accepted.

1. Go to settings, general, accessibility, and turn on Zoom. It looks ugly as a boiled dragon when zoomed. You can control various things using a multi-touch, three finger sort of thing. Your icons can look bigger (along with everything else) but not smaller. Try explaining three fingers and multi-touch to your customers.

2. There is a Slide Show button on your Lock Screen. You must "push" it to show the pics stored on your iPad(s). Not sure that is a good idea, either. Screen savers (I think) can be had from Cydia so you will need to JB all devices. Or perhaps there is a SC app on iTunes?

3. Consider a custom application. In my view, support will be an issue and you will be busy. I think you need to gather information and talk to your boss. Let him know that there are some things he/you will not be able to do. Let him know what he is in for.

I just realized. I assume your boss wants his menu on the iPad. Is this correct? If so, perhaps someone out there specializes in iPad menu designs, support, and so forth. As the iPad is more widely adopted, I bet there will be specialized designers catering to specific business segments.

OP
Z

zein83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
10x for reply

No offence to you
it seems from your explanation your very optimistic and you had a big idea about ipad but it seeems you are still in the beginners side
so and with no doubt work on your self
and 10x for the zoom (hehehehehe)
really i am very sad about you because you write all this explanation just i wanted an answer in two line and a name of application
and for my i pads i jailbreak it all in one day for your information ~ Edited by Moderator ~ please do not discuss piracy or cracked apps! Against forum rules.
so all what i needed is the name of applications

again 10x for your typing time

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Without knowing exactly what you're after I do know a lot of restaurants and other businesses are using iPads as you describe. Here's a USA Today article discussing it...

iPads replacing restaurant menus, staff - USATODAY.com

There are apps like this one:

MenuPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

There are probably others as well, you'd have to do some searching or perhaps others will have some suggestions.

If you Google "iPad Restaurant Menu" you'll find a lot of good info as well.

I happened to find a YouTube video that shows something quite like what you're looking for. It looks like the iPad has been programmed by a developer for specific use.

Of course all of this may not be for you, but it might help other folks in a similar situation.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

chingak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came across an app from stu-sys.
its free and customizable.
It was really easy to use too.

Most reactions

Latest posts