What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad recently VERY slow over wifi :(

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all

over last 2 days my iPad has slowed to the point that I have stopped using it for Internet and app store!! no idea why. haven't done an update or anything. totally dies when trying to load web pages.

I'm in uk on talk talk broadband btw. anyone else getting similar?

cheers
dan

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unplug your router and plug it back in ~ also try resetting your iPad. Hold the power button an home button down together until you see the Apple logo.

Then ~ let it reboot.

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys. will try those
cheers
dan

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
right - tested wifi on pc and now slow there too - so ipad off the hook :)
powered off router - but still no good

speed test says 10mb though :/ dont quite believe it - duff router maybe ?

cheers
dan

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have any neighbors close by? If so, Is your wep turned on...or do you have it hangin' wide open for everyone to use? When goin' to your router settings page you should have a "connected devices" section...check this to see how many pc's are accessing your network.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could anyone else be connected via your router? For example, if you have children around, you'll already know they can find a way, and they use programs that suck up bandwidth like you wouldn't believe
green.gif

Edit: Ha! OUTL4W beat me to it, LOL

Reaction score
If there are other wifi networks nearby, it is possible, that the wifi networks are using the same channel (the 2.4GHz radio has only has 13 wifi channels). If multiple wifi's are using the same channel, or even a channel close by, then the wifi network can be slowed down.

So it is worthwile checking, on which channel the own, as well as the surrounding wifi networks are and then reassign the own wifi network to an unused one.

For this task, the free software InSSIDer is a great tool:
inSSIDer | MetaGeek

Just open it and it shows all wifi networks with their corresponding channel, as well as various other information.

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:-D thanks guys. defo locked down security wise.
just tested with cable from PC router and still slow.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What type of router and when was the last time you updated firmware? Are you able to hook the ethernet directly to pc and check speeds? If still slow perhaps ISP is throttling your connection....

Last edited:
OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its a Siemens one. its about 3.5 years old. no haven't updated the s/w.
been on to talktalk and they are going to send me a new n series one.
just had to sign up again :-\

Most reactions