What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad pro 2020 - Type C earphone compatibility

TheWhizz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently bought an iPad Pro 2020 (with type-c port) for casual gaming and I am on the latest OS. I have been trying to connect my Samsung AKG type-c earphone but have been unsuccessful. The first time after a boot, it gets connected and works well but after that that it won't recognize the plugged-in earphone. It plays everything through iPad speakers even though the earphone is connected.

I have checked with apple support, but they are saying that they don't support all Type-C earphones and when I questioned if Apple sells any Type-C earphones, the customer care rep suggested buying an Airpods. Honestly, I am disappointed with this and don't know how to tackle this issue. I don't wish to buy Airpods as I always prefer wired earphones to avoid any audio delay.

I browsed through apple support forums and I see a lot of users (iPad air 4, Ipad pro 2020-21) with exact same problems who can vouch that it worked fine in the earlier versions but stopped after the recent updates.

I might consider an Apple 3.5 mm Type-c jack adapter but I really don't know if it is going to work.

any suggestions?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All I can suggest it making sure that the description specifically says it's compatible with iPad Pros before purchasing. If your current earphones claim this then take it up with the manufacturer.

On the other hand, if Apple's own adaptor does not work, they should at least give you a refund. Also, if it's an update problem they will be highly motivated to fix any bugs that affect their own adaptors.

As for them not supporting every USB-C device, that's mostly because not everyone adheres closely to the standard, or have their own idea of what that standard is. In cases like this, it's almost impossible to support every device. Careful shopping is recommended. Especially because Apple does not support every USB-C device. Only the mainstream ones, and their own. It was the same with USB-A.

OP
TheWhizz

TheWhizz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I can suggest it making sure that the description specifically says it's compatible with iPad Pros before purchasing. If your current earphones claim this then take it up with the manufacturer.

On the other hand, if Apple's own adaptor does not work, they should at least give you a refund. Also, if it's an update problem they will be highly motivated to fix any bugs that affect their own adaptors.

As for them not supporting every USB-C device, that's mostly because not everyone adheres closely to the standard, or have their own idea of what that standard is. In cases like this, it's almost impossible to support every device. Careful shopping is recommended. Especially because Apple does not support every USB-C device. Only the mainstream ones, and their own. It was the same with USB-A.

Thanks for the response. I will probably try getting a type-c apple adapter but many other have already reported that they can't seem to connect even with the original apple adapter. Anyways, worth a try.

I personally hate adapters and they somehow downgrade the experience of using a gadget. The funny thing is Apple doesn't even make wired type-c earphones and absolutely no support/explanation on why it used to work and why it doesn't anymore.

Hopefully, it was just software problems and they will fix them in upcoming updates.

Linking the original discussion thread here.

discussions.apple.com/thread/251971083

Cheers!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

For iOS devices Apple has gone all in on Bluetooth earphones/headphones. Their adaptors are little more than a nod to those that, for one reason or another, do not or can not go bluetooth.

History wise, this should not be a big surprise for those familiar with Apple. They were among the very first to ditch older connectors for the USB standard, and among the first to ditch DVD drives. They have also shown a strong preference for fewer but more capable ports and minimal mechanical buttons where feasible. And, they don’t seem to mind waiting out the growing pains that go with early transitions.`

As a side effect, they can also be incredibly stubborn about backing away from what other’s view as a mistake; but eventually they will cave to market/user pressure when it is obvious that something is not working. Unfortunately for you and those that like hardware earphones, the Bluetooth market is booming and satisfying the vast majority of customers.

I don’t expect hardware options to go away any time soon, but I also don’t expect Apple to suddenly pivot and start making it’s own hardware earphones, or expend it‘s support beyond an adaptor. Hopefully (and probably) third party support should continue and get better as the specs and software shake out the bugs. There are, after all, accessibility use cases, and Apple takes that seriously.

Most reactions

Latest posts