What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad photos stored on iCloud

Asteca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
We have an iPad 4, IOS version 8.1.2, with 16 GB memory and we want to use iCloud as the storage device for the numerous photos we will take on a next trip. We are planning to take much more than ~ 16GB of photos/videos during that trip. How can I accomplish that? How can I put aprox. 30 GB of photos/videos on iCloud while having an iPad with only 16 GB storage?.

I thought that this could be done by deleting the photos on the iPad after they were transferred to the iCloud, but this doesn't work....if I delete them from the iPad, they also get deleted from the iCloud. I think that what I need is a setup whereby the photos are deleted from the iPad (to give me storage space) but ot on the iCloud.

Or is iCloud the appropriate storage environment?

Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to use online storage, it's better to load them to something like Flickr with 1 TB of free storage space. You can keep your photos private there, so one one will see them.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's iCloud Photo Library, which is currently in beta. It will store your photos in the cloud, although you will have to purchase extra storage to hold all the photos you plan to take. https://www.apple.com/ca/icloud/photos/

Being as this is a beta release, it shouldn't be depended on to store important photos without having them backed up elsewhere. You may want to consider purchasing extra SD memory cards for your camera, if you're using a digital camera rather than the camera on your iPad to take the photos.

If you're using your iPad camera to take the photos, J. A.'s advice is a good idea. The more places you have your photos stored the better.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is always iCloud Photo Sharing. You can store up to 5000 photos and videos in iCloud Photo Sharing, and it does not count against your iCloud Storage limit.

You don't have to actually share them if you don't want too.

The downside's are that you need to manage the photos manually, which means taking some time out each day to copy the photos to the appropriate albums and then deleting them from the camera roll. Also, extra larger photos, like panoramic, may be downsized.

This what I've been using to create permanent albums on my iOS devices that sync between my devices. Unlike Photo Stream, the albums you create here are permanent, and will sync with any device that uses your iCloud account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5903

My recommendation is to do both this and use a site like Flickr, as Johanna suggested. Either solution by itself is 'probably' safe enough, but if your photos are important they should never be in just one place.

Also, Flickr is one of the services that Apple supports directly. Once you have an account you can sign-in in Settings > Flickr and save photos directly from the Photos app. The Flickr app is pretty decent too.

Addendum: I see the name and limits have changed. I corrected them above, so if you already read this and it says something you don't remember, sorry. I should have reviewed the support page before I started typing, not after I posted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts