What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IpAd phone calls

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the iPad 3G receive phone calls just like a regular phone? If it can, then I am thinking about getting rid of my phone and just use the iPad for calling and text. I barely use the phone/voice service, maybe 10 calls a week just about.

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using skype and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

If someone calls me, will my ipad ring or get a push notification?

Please give me some advice.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it can. Get the whistle phone app for iPad. It'll turn ur iPad into a viop enabled device for making and receiving phone calls. It will even give ur iPad it's own phone number with ur native area code, I have it n love it. N I have a wifi version of iPad and it wrks well. U get all this for free plus free call forwarding to ir cell phone if u don't pick up when someone calling ur whistle number.
I wouldn't get rifle of the cell phone though. Although whistle is pretty stable n reliable, it goes off the Internet. U know how Internet can act up at times. U don't want to get urself caught n an emergency needing to make a call. Whistle phone is a good compliment tomthe cell. U can always give out ur whistle number to people who u don't want to have ur personal cell number..lol like a business line or somethin.

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Yes it can. Get the whistle phone app for iPad. It'll turn ur iPad into a viop enabled device for making and receiving phone calls. It will even give ur iPad it's own phone number with ur native area code, I have it n love it. N I have a wifi version of iPad and it wrks well. U get all this for free plus free call forwarding to ir cell phone if u don't pick up when someone calling ur whistle number.
I wouldn't get rifle of the cell phone though. Although whistle is pretty stable n reliable, it goes off the Internet. U know how Internet can act up at times. U don't want to get urself caught n an emergency needing to make a call. Whistle phone is a good compliment tomthe cell. U can always give out ur whistle number to people who u don't want to have ur personal cell number..lol like a business line or somethin.

Thanx for your response. If you friends call you, does it always ring? I mean are the incoming push notifications always reliable or only sometimes?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, for the most part. Just don't delete it from background or task switcher. So it's pretty reliable on wifi tethered so I know it should be good on your 3G service. Calls be sounding very clear also. It's a cool feature n will maze ur friends. You can also plug in the cell phone earbuds with mic for better hearing and talking. BT headset might wrk also. Let us know how u like it and how well it wrks for your ipad2!

Most reactions

Latest posts