What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad OS

Mickeylittle777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Varying reports on the outside chance of using a mouse. Not trying to start a rumor but is that even on the table here?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can use a mouse; however it is an accessibility feature. It does not work exactly like a traditional mouse cursor. There are several demo videos on YouTube.

Safari is being improved to offer more of a desktop browser experience, including a download folder/feature. I understand that websites like Google Docs work well with it. Text selection/editing is being improved.

From what Iā€™ve seen, while youā€™ll be able to use a mouse, a lot of the reasons some people would like a mouse are being addressed; and some of them wonā€™t be solved even with the mouse support being added.

Mickeylittle777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the mouse. You know if the iPad is ever going to truly replace the laptop, and it is getting closer, it is going to need to have some sort of a dock capability. With the USB C port they have the ability. But laptop replacement on a 12.9 screen is just asking too much. Give me a dock for my desk for just 1 monitor, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, portable hard drive, and a couple USB 3 ports. Then you would have a laptop replacement.

How close do you think Apple is to this or is this totally out of the picture?

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a usbc hub for my iPad Pro 11ā€ in preparation for iPadOS 13. It has an hdmi port to use an external monitor, three USB3 ports for things such as external drives, mouse etc., a usbc input for external power, SD and microSD card readers and I also have a Brydge keyboard.
I reckon Iā€™ve pretty much covered all thatā€™s required to fulfill the brief.

Search Amazon for ā€˜Elando USB C Hubā€™

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the mouse. You know if the iPad is ever going to truly replace the laptop, and it is getting closer, it is going to need to have some sort of a dock capability. With the USB C port they have the ability. But laptop replacement on a 12.9 screen is just asking too much. Give me a dock for my desk for just 1 monitor, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, portable hard drive, and a couple USB 3 ports. Then you would have a laptop replacement.

How close do you think Apple is to this or is this totally out of the picture?

I donā€™t think Apple is trying to create a laptop replacement. Sure, a lot of people (including myself) have replaced their laptop (and even desktop) with an iPad, but thatā€™s not because itā€™s a true laptop replacement. Itā€™s because we didnā€™t really need everything a laptop does, and/or did need/want the things an iPad does better than a laptop.

Iā€™m not trying to rain on peoples desire for more stuff on the iPad, just pointing out that if you keep adding more stuff to iPads, at some point it wontā€™ be a laptop replacement. It will just be another laptop; with all the strengths of a laptop, but also with all the weaknesses.

As much as I love my iPad, if I really needed a laptopā€™s features, Iā€™d get a laptop. (Iā€™d probably keep the iPad too).

That aside, there are quite a few USB-C expansion devices available, many which have HDMI out. A few have a dock/like form factor. I saw an add for one the other day that clips to the upper right corner of the iPad. It even had an extra USB-C port so you can keep charging while using the other ports.

I keep a multi-port adaptor in my backpack. But in the end itā€™s mostly a placebo. I think Iā€™ve used it once, and didnā€™t really need to then.

On a positive note, iPadOS is going to let us access external storage via the USB-C port. I only need this a few times a year, but itā€™s always a pain when I do.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a usbc hub for my iPad Pro 11ā€ in preparation for iPadOS 13. It has an hdmi port to use an external monitor, three USB3 ports for things such as external drives, mouse etc., a usbc input for external power, SD and microSD card readers and I also have a Brydge keyboard.
I reckon Iā€™ve pretty much covered all thatā€™s required to fulfill the brief.

Search Amazon for ā€˜Elando USB C Hubā€™
Thanks so much. I have several hubs on my list but don't know this one. I too have the Brydge (12.9) so am looking for a hub with exactly the ports your hub has.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I donā€™t think Apple is trying to create a laptop replacement. Sure, a lot of people (including myself) have replaced their laptop (and even desktop) with an iPad, but thatā€™s not because itā€™s a true laptop replacement. Itā€™s because we didnā€™t really need everything a laptop does, and/or did need/want the things an iPad does better than a laptop.

Iā€™m not trying to rain on peoples desire for more stuff on the iPad, just pointing out that if you keep adding more stuff to iPads, at some point it wontā€™ be a laptop replacement. It will just be another laptop; with all the strengths of a laptop, but also with all the weaknesses.

As much as I love my iPad, if I really needed a laptopā€™s features, Iā€™d get a laptop. (Iā€™d probably keep the iPad too).

That aside, there are quite a few USB-C expansion devices available, many which have HDMI out. A few have a dock/like form factor. I saw an add for one the other day that clips to the upper right corner of the iPad. It even had an extra USB-C port so you can keep charging while using the other ports.

I keep a multi-port adaptor in my backpack. But in the end itā€™s mostly a placebo. I think Iā€™ve used it once, and didnā€™t really need to then.

On a positive note, iPadOS is going to let us access external storage via the USB-C port. I only need this a few times a year, but itā€™s always a pain when I do.

I agree with you-especially the second paragraph. I have a MacBook Pro 15" but think I can migrate entirely to my 2018 12.9 Pro. I don't code, don't use apps only available for the Mac, and my use of spreadsheets and docs is basic enough to do on a big iPad (and photography processing on the iPad is great-first with Astropad using both iPad and Mac together to now really excellent apps rivaling Photoshop).

However I do use external drives pretty extensively-have photo files from 1998 forward very organized. I have all business files for our business in the cloud but the lack of a good File app and support for external drives has kept me working with my Mac-though over the years I've become more fond of touch. Back in my days of a custom Win desktop I used a big Wacom and gradually found myself using the stylus instead of my mouse so I liked the iPad from vs 1. With the first 12.9 I started to find ways to use it more and more but there were always barriers. I "think" IOS13/iPad OS may end those-but certainly not for everyone. So glad there are choices in the Apple lineup for everyone.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I have 3PCs (all Windows, sigh) That sync and share perfectly with my ipad /iPhone via icloud for windows. I frequently pull items in and out of my external HDD and into my iCloud account with no issues. I`m somewhat meticulous with organizing my metric buttload of images I keep in Cyberspace, and frankly don`t need them ALL portable in my iPad. So far, so good. I tend to download what I need at any given time, and work with that, then put it in the external, moving on to the next thing. If I had one of the iPads with a large storage capacity this would be a different process, but for the time being it is my default procedure, and it works for me.A direct link with the external would be cool! Also looking forward to the multiple pages options. I don`t think I`d want a mouse with my iPad. I love the touch interface much more, nor a keyboard as I type so much better and faster on the virtual keyboard. Caught myself trying to tap on the screen of my 23" all in one desk top the other day. Glad no one saw me! BTW, anyone ever play with one of those flash drives with the USB at one end and the lightning connector at the other? Looks like a fun gadget, but I can do transfers already, so it seems sort of superfluous, except for dropping things in a computer not connected to my Apple account...hmmm... L

Mickeylittle777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I havenā€™t found a way yet to copy a video file from any SD card or hard drive to an iPad. You currently have to sync it donā€™t you?

I have a ton of DVDs on my external hard drive in apple format and I want to load them from time to time on my iPad but the only way I can do that right now is thru iTunes and I hate iTunes. I long for the day when I can just drag and drop 30-40 DVDs from my hard drive over to my iPad without syncing. This is the type of thing Iā€™m looking forward to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Caught myself trying to tap on the screen of my 23" all in one desk top the other day. Glad no one saw me! BTW, anyone ever play with one of those flash drives with the USB at one end and the lightning connector at the other? Looks like a fun gadget, but I can do transfers already, so it seems sort of superfluous, except for dropping things in a computer not connected to my Apple account...hmmm... L

Wait until you catch yourself tap-holding a word in a paper book, expecting get the definition. :)

I have a couple of the USB/Lightning flash drive: a Lexar and a PNY. They require a companion app to work, and honestly donā€™t work very well. You canā€™t save directly to the drive. You have to save to the app, then in the app you can move files to the flash drive. Copying from the drive is easier. You can use the Share Sheet in the app to copy to the Files or other apps. It will work in a pinch, but itā€™s not fun. Iā€™ve used it to grab files off shared computers (where loading things in and out of the cloud is difficult), and to print documents at Staples. Thankfully, I donā€™t need to do these things often.

The coming support for flash drives and other external storage will be a big plus for me.

Iā€™ve seen a demo showing that the external storage feature also works with iPhones; so Iā€™ll be looking into a triple port flash drive: USB3/USBC/Lightning. They exists. I saw some on Amazon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I havenā€™t found a way yet to copy a video file from any SD card or hard drive to an iPad. You currently have to sync it donā€™t you?

I have a ton of DVDs on my external hard drive in apple format and I want to load them from time to time on my iPad but the only way I can do that right now is thru iTunes and I hate iTunes. I long for the day when I can just drag and drop 30-40 DVDs from my hard drive over to my iPad without syncing. This is the type of thing Iā€™m looking forward to.

You can copy from a USB Drive or an SD card with the right adaptor, but they have to be formatted just like a camera storage device. There needs to be a DCIM folder, and the file names have to be no more than eight characters long with the appropriate file extension. And they will only import to the Photos app.

In short, it was created as a way to import photos and videos from cameras; and works poorly for anything else.

The new feature should be a huge improvement. Iā€™m sure someone will be demoing video imports soon. Keep an eye out on YouTube.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score

There are methods to do what you describe which have been discussed before, one of them being the use of the RavPower Wi-fi wireless router. There are several YouTube videos showing its use.

FrenchTV

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Iā€™m not trying to rain on peoples desire for more stuff on the iPad, just pointing out that if you keep adding more stuff to iPads, at some point it wontā€™ be a laptop replacement. It will just be another laptop; with all the strengths of a laptop, but also with all the weaknesses..As much as I love my iPad, if I really needed a laptopā€™s features, Iā€™d get a laptop. (Iā€™d probably keep the iPad too).

incorrect (no offense), Steve Jobs was indeed trying to make computers as portable as possible., as they get faster he intended to take touch screens including iPhones to another level where you can enter a "apple coffee shop", have a seat with a view, connect your iPhone-ipad to the table which will contain a screen that can pop up-tilt from the table and add any devices to the tabes USB hub, a fast on the go solution for anyone living in silicon valley wishing to relax while working.

So to be honest with you EVERYONE WANTS a portable computer with a touch screen powerful enough for those who are artists to use as a wacom tablet as well, imagine sitting around with clients of any sort and they can all edit what they are talking about on a iPad be it artists, video editors, audio editors etc., so if you don't get ready because all apple devices are capable, expect protests to take place in the future because its all about limitations and control now, ..its who will let you..developers rather rent their products to you now because of the advances technology has made,

i dont want to sound like a silicon valley snitch or tell type but this has now gone too far, i love Apple but like most companies they are liable for abuses, i rather edit them out here now because the sad truth is that Apple has to succeed against HUAWAI, who i call the Chinese Mafia...and human rights abusers...with out getting political, your iPhones and iPads are already capable of running a fully functional computer NOW!

Last edited:
OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did! Thank you.If the new OS is as intuitive as everything else I have used, should be pretty easy, and fun to learn. For those of You with "older" devices, I found a list of iOS 13/ iPad OS compatable devices here: iOS 13 and iPadOS: Will your iPhone or iPad run it? | ZDNet

I have a gen 1 12.9 Ipad Pro with lightning port and though it has a battery that constantly needs charged (main reason I bought the 2018) I charged it, installed the public beta. I just love itā€”so much of what I have hoped for over the years and likely will mean my late 2015 Macbook Pro will be retiredā€”or close to it. Because its lightning not USBc I thought I would not get to see how the new Files app functioned with drives but remembered that I had a lightning/SD dongle so used my SD card in it and it appeared in Files app. I had it set for columns so it seems much like Finders on a Macā€”and for a single file it will give you all the data/EXIF (if its a photo) or other data for docs, spreadsheets, etc. YOu have choices to open in other apps, move files around or downloadā€”it seems like most of what we have hoped for in Files (you canā€™t format a driveā€”not sure if you will ever be able to, so plug and play seems the way to go or formatted for Macā€”so far I understand exFAT, AFPS, FAT 32 and Mac OS EXtended formats.

I think for anyone having used an Ipad beforeā€”you should be able to just use it as before. For those of us who need more, it appears to have lots of interesting options. Check out Youtube videosā€”lots of good previews of it on IPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts