What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad OS Pages: Document setup

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting ā€Document Setupā€ to behave properly on iPad Pages

I can get page numbering to appear on every page via ā€œDocument Setup.ā€ This is correct behavior. But if I put a graphic element on that very same ā€Document Setupā€ area, it only appears on 1 page. This is incorrect behaviorā€¦

ā€¦unless I misapprehend ā€œDocument setupā€ as the place where you tell the entire document how big it will be, where page numbers are, where graphic elements are, on every single page throughout the document.

If the user puts something onto the page or pages shown under ā€œDocument Setup,ā€ those things should appear on every page, right? Boxes, text, pictures, page numbering, etc.

Do I understand the concept of ā€œDocument Setupā€ correctly with respect to Pages on iPad OS?

Thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is how itā€™s always worked before, and itā€™s how it is working for me on the newest version of Pages. Can you be more specific in your description? Which element are you adding a graphic too, and what kind of graphic (object, image, drawing, etc)

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
certainly. Iā€™ll be in a layout document. go to document set up, choose ā€œMore Options,ā€ click in a header cell and select my pagination display option. Go out to the document to see that page numbering displays on all pages. Mostly it does, but not always.

Then Iā€™ll add some graphic elements to the page number by going back into document set up > more options. Only one page will have those added elements! So, I appear to be shown that I am doing something document-wide, but the results appear to be to the local page with no rhyme or reason which page - not always the one thatā€™s activated.

Whatā€™s flummoxing to me is that despite what I believe to be the global nature of changes made under Document Setup, my results donā€™t appear always to obey this. I mean, that name kinda says it all, doesnā€™t it? ā€˜Document Setup.ā€™

How the document is set up.

Master pages and their children can have other attributes, but no page escapes the parameters stipulated in Document Setup.. at least thatā€™s what I believe itā€™s meant to be.

thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that youā€˜ve chosen a document type that has a cover/title page; like one of the Book templates. The setup for the first page and all following pages are different. Deleting the first page seems to get rid of this behavior.

Iā€™m not very familiar with the cover page feature. In my brief experiments anything added to the header and footer of the first page go to the second page, but anything added to the body of the first page stays there. In the Section tab in Document settings you can stop the fist page from showing header and footer info, making it even more distinct from the following pages. There is also a Match Previous Section option there that seems to break the normal behavior. Iā€™d look to make sure all your pages have this turned on.

I suspect a close reading of the help info on creating books and page templates would help explain this behavior.

I canā€™t think of anything else that it might be, or would help.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for the sound adviceā€¦Iā€™ll try your ideas and suggestions..
meanwhile, more experimenting.

Most reactions