What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD on Home Network Constantly Going Online and Offline?

recDNA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - newbie here. I have a question for you folks.

I downloaded the new version of McAfee on my PC tonight (I know, I know but it's free so I'm using it) anyway I looked at the network map in McAfee and discovered an unknown device. I strained by brain trying to guess what it was but I had no clue. McAfee told me the IP addy and MAC Addy but I didn't recognize them.

I never thought of my IPAD because it was off. Anyway - you guessed it - it WAS the IPAD. Even though my IPAD is turned off (with the little black button at the top) the network shows it constantly going online for a few minutes then offline again. Why does the IPAD appear to constantly be going on and offline on my network when it is turned off in its case?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Because it is not off. Pushing the power button only puts it in the equivalent of sleep mode. That's why it turns on so fast when you hit the home or power key.

To actually turn the iPad off you need to hold down the power key for 3 to 5 seconds, until a red power off slider appears. Slide the slider, and your iPad shuts down completely.

To turn it back on again, hold down the power button for a couple seconds. you'll get an apple logo and a little spiny thing while it starts up. You'll notice it takes an appreciable amount of time to come back to life.

Most reactions