What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios devices and network IP addresses

the dills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is main culprit but but both our iphone 4s's also partially toddle off our network from time to time.

All IP addresses are governed by the main router which is the DHCP server.

The iPad always connects to our network and by and large retains the same IP address.

The problem seems to be that whilst the iPad can browse the net and receive emails, notifications etc. it isn't actually visible to any other device on the network unless:

WiFi is turned off and on again on the IPad.
Or
The IP lease is renewed on the iPad.

The phones need the same treatment.

The giveaway is that the ios device cannot find our Sonos network. The above actions resolve it.

I don't have any trouble with our android tablet.

Anyone know why my ios devices lose the plot?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This isn't a normal behavior. I can't think of any possible solution. In my opinion, you should contact your ISP.

OP
T

the dills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I can't think that my isp will be much use. They will only suggest that I reset my router etc etc.

It may be way that my router handles wireless devices that leave and re-join the network. None of the other wireless devices leave the house.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Darn.

Then you've done all I can think of. The fact that the iPad can still get emails and browse means it's not the DHCP or basic router services failing, but some other network protocol failing. Maybe Bonjour, or whatever the Sonos network uses.

Maybe you can find out what that is, and if there are any updates relegated to it.

Good luck.

Oh, and one other thing. Keep an eye on the subnet mask. See if it is different when the network is visible and not. That it it's job after all, separating devices into sub-networks.

Warren9981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try changing the lease time so the IP address lease is changed at a shorter interval. This will force the router to poll and renew leases quicker.
The router will usually have a lease time of days, so if your device leaves the network and then comes back in range there could be confusion in the router.
Rebooting or restarting wifi will force the router to provide a new lease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
T

the dills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the problem lies hidden in the bowels of my network. I have a main DHCP serving wireless router, a secondary router connected by LAN cable to that and a wireless A/P connected connected by LAN cable to the secondary router. Some devices
show in the main router's ARP table some in the DHCP table. DHCP lease time is 24 hours.
The Sonos connection is an effect rather than a cause. It is always accessible from one device or another via LAN or wireless.
I also have a WDS wireless range extender in my annex. This feeds off the main router but is too far away for my devices to connect to by accident. Only the main router has DHCP server enabled. The server range is 100 to 200 and all the AP's are outside this at 251 to 254.
Perhaps a router reset is called for. It would probably help if the secondary router was replaced by proper 4 or 6 way switch.

OP
T

the dills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE
I set DHCP lease time to 6 hours rather than the default 24 hours and so far everything talks to everything else.
Fingers crossed!

Most reactions