What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad not sending e-mail

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I try to send e-mail, I'm getting an error message that says: A copy has been placed in your outbox. the recipient (address here) was rejected by the server.

I know the address is correct and it's doing this now for all e-mail.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I've "rebooted" my iPad and it's persisting.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I try to send e-mail, I'm getting an error message that says: A copy has been placed in your outbox. the recipient (address here) was rejected by the server.

I know the address is correct and it's doing this now for all e-mail.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I've "rebooted" my iPad and it's persisting.

First try to turn off your iPad, wait for a few minutes and then turn it on again.
If this doesn't help, look at your Settings in Mails, Contacts, Calendars - your account - SMTP.
Maybe deleting the email account and reinstalling it will help, if the other suggestions don't work.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First try to turn off your iPad, wait for a few minutes and then turn it on again.
If this doesn't help, look at your Settings in Mails, Contacts, Calendars - your account - SMTP.
Maybe deleting the email account and reinstalling it will help, if the other suggestions don't work.

I have turned it off and on a couple of times. I checked the settings and my email settings look like they always have, but I may not notice some difference. I know I haven't knowingly changed anything.

I'm reluctant to delete and reinstall the account for fear I'll do something wrong and not know how to fix it. Should I take a leap of faith and give it go? :) I did take a screen shot of my account settings so I had a record, so I suppose I could always restore those settings, if necessary. Advice and help appreciated.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have turned it off and on a couple of times. I checked the settings and my email settings look like they always have, but I may not notice some difference. I know I haven't knowingly changed anything.

I'm reluctant to delete and reinstall the account for fear I'll do something wrong and not know how to fix it. Should I take a leap of faith and give it go? :) I did take a screen shot of my account settings so I had a record, so I suppose I could always restore those settings, if necessary. Advice and help appreciated.

There shouldn't be a problem installing the account again, afaik. I've done so with my email accounts several times (deleted - set up again). Also, if you took a screenshot, you'll know what to do.

If it's a Gmail or Outlook account, I should be able to assist.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi MoneyGuy - well, I'm assuming that you at least did a 'Restart' of the iPad as suggested, but if not also done, try a 'Reset' (see quote below) which may correct the problem. If not, then you might provide some additional information: 1) What account provider are you using (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)?; 2) Do you have multiple mail accounts, and if so, are all behaving similarly or just one?; and 3) Have you made any recent changes to you mail account(s) or is this a new problem?

Also, go into settings and view the problematic mail account, and check the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) setting to see if the server address is indeed correct? You may want to just re-enter the address and try sending a message - might work. As to 'deleting' an account, keep in mind that the Mail app is just 'mirroring' the mail servers that you are using, so a deletion is really not an elimination of your account on their system. But, let us know if any of these steps help and if not, please post back - good luck! Dave

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I have done all the obvious things, including a restart and reboot. I'll try deleting and restoring the account but am nervous about one thing.

I don't know if I remember my password when my account was set up some time ago. When I delete and restore my account, I choose a new password, correct???

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have done all the obvious things, including a restart and reboot. I'll try deleting and restoring the account but am nervous about one thing.

I don't know if I remember my password when my account was set up some time ago. When I delete and restore my account, I choose a new password, correct???

Sorry, no! When you delete your account, it still has to be the same password you had before. You can't change it through the Email app.
If you don't remember it, use your browser to login. Most email accounts would give the occasion to reset your password in case you forgot it.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, no! When you delete your account, it still has to be the same password you had before. You can't change it through the Email app.
If you don't remember it, use your browser to login. Most email accounts would give the occasion to reset your password in case you forgot it.

How do I log in using my browser? Can I do that on my PC or must it be the iPad? Is there some way for me to check if what I think the password is correct?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do I log in using my browser? Can I do that on my PC or must it be the iPad? Is there some way for me to check if what I think the password is correct?

Which email account do you have? Gmail and Outlook/Hotmail can be accessed through your iPad browser as well as your computer.
Usually you have 3 attempts to login, afaik.

Last edited:
OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure. I didn't set it up. My outgoing server is smtp.1and1.com. This may not be helpful.

I can call my guy who set it up but what do I ask him? Do I ask: what is my "email account?" I'm not sure what that means. I see choices where you go to set up an account (iCloud, MS Exchange, Email, Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail). Would it be one of those?

Sorry for my ignorance. Folks here are so helpful and I'm trying to learn.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure. I didn't set it up. My outgoing server is smtp.1and1.com. This may not be helpful.

I can call my guy who set it up but what do I ask him? Do I ask: what is my "email account?" I'm not sure what that means. I see choices where you go to set up an account (iCloud, MS Exchange, Email, Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail). Would it be one of those?

Sorry for my ignorance. Folks here are so helpful and I'm trying to learn.

I suppose it is 1&1 (visible in smtp...). In this case you'll have to login with your computer. Search for "1&1 login" with your browser, then you should find it.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose it is 1&1 (visible in smtp...). In this case you'll have to login with your computer. Search for "1&1 login" with your browser, then you should find it.

Is my password the same as what what I use to log in to 1and1.com to remotely pick up email? I know that one so if it's the same, then that problem is solved.

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, now I can safely delete my email account and launch a new one? I know the 1and1 password but the site is down for maintenance now so I'll have ot wait for that.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, now I can safely delete my email account and launch a new one? I know the 1and1 password but the site is down for maintenance now so I'll have ot wait for that.

You'll have to know your email address and your password when you want to set it up again. In most cases that's enough.
I don't know 1&1 or which way it's set up. Perhaps you'll also have to enter your Incoming and Outgoing server as well.

At the moment you'll have to wait for the site to work again.
In the meantime you should call the person who set it up before and ask him which way it should be set up:

image-3762675607.jpg

One of these possibilities

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts