What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Newbie, Apple does not play well with others?

janet794

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am a PC diehard. My first Apple product, the iPhone brought me over to the dark side. Now I have the IPad. How do I transfer things from my PC to the computer? I tried my USB drive with the Apple adapter, but it says it draws too much power? I need a large number of picture for my business. The items are my inventory. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"from my PC to the computer?"

I suppose you mean from the PC to the ipad, everything is being done through itunes. You can also try apps like dropbox etc.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will not work with any thumb drive that I know of, due to power requirements. Sd cards can be downloaded if they just contain certain types of files. JPG. for example. Moving any files is best done through iTunes. When you look at the facts, Apple plays better with other systems than the other way around. There are limitation on anything you do in life.

AceCoolie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some USB drives that are low power that will work but they are few and far between. Also, you can plug in a powered USB hub and usually read drives thru it. Even if you find a drive or use a hub, your still limited without a file browser. If your device is jailbroken, you can use iFile which works well.

I really don't understand why Apple doesn't consider transfering files from a USB drive a common enough use case to support it. I've been to MANY computer conferences etc. where slides etc. are distributed on USB drives. Another situation I've run into is that I'm part of a camera club and I do the photo critiques. Members bring their photos on USB drives. I would love to be able to collect all the images on my iPad and use it for the slide show but alas, no joy. I still have to use my laptop.

With every iOS release, I keep my fingers crossed that this functionality will be included. I wonder if Apple will open up a little bit more under Tim.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love for Apple to transform the iPad into a more general purpose computer. If Android and windows tablets pull in this direction I can only see apple holding their current position for another 2 years without becoming irrelevant. However no one says it will be an easy transition.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dropbox, Evernote ... I just synced my dropbox and GoodReader this weekend so my iPad pulls all my docs on to it in a push of a button, YAY! I'm sure there's tons of apps out there for that. I used to be anti-apple and now ... 3 iPhones, 4 iPods and 2 iPads later here I am.

Most reactions