What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini with Retina display vs iPad Mini: specs comparison

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
overview_hero.jpg

If you're done comparing the iPad Air with the iPad 4, now it's time to switch to their smaller brothers - the latest, second-generation iPad Mini with Retina display and the original iPad Mini. To make it easier for readers, I will be including in the bullet list below only what is different, so you won't have to compare similar features. Have a careful look as there might be some pleasant and some not so pleasant surprises.
  • Original iPad Mini is cheaper by $100: 16GB Wi-Fi version - $299 compared to $399; 16 GB Wi‑Fi + Cellular version - $429 compared to $529
  • Original iPad Mini is slightly thinner: 0.28 inch (7.2 mm) compared to 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
  • Original iPad Mini is slightly lighter: Wi‑Fi version weighs 0.68 pound (308 g) compared to 0.73 pound (331g); Wi‑Fi + Cellular version weighs 0.69 pound (312 g)
  • iPad Mini with Retina display has much better resolution: 2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi) compared to 1024-by-768 resolution at 163 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • iPad Mini with Retina display has much better performance: A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor compared to Dual-core A5 chip
  • iPad Mini with Retina display comes with 3x video zoom
  • iPad Mini with Retina display comes with ultrafast wireless with faster built-in Wi-Fi and expanded LTE cellular connectivity
As you can see, it's a matter of choice. The first-generation iPad Mini is thinner and lighter because it lacks the Retina display panel and the bigger battery that needs to feed it. In the same time, if you're ok with the resolution and the performance you have and you are looking to save a few bucks, then you should choose the first iPad Mini. But if blazing speeds while browsing and crisp images are your thing, then iPad Mini with Retina Display should be your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The way I see it is this:
1) The thickness change is 0.01/0.28 = 3.6% thicker.
2) The weight change is 23/308= 7.5% heavier.
For that, you get 326ppi vs 163 ppi (twice the ppi) and like 4X CPU (400%) and 8x (800%) GPU increase.
That is a lot to get for what you give up.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely, but you also forget the 100 bucks

Well, you've got to pay to play. For me, I think it is well worth $100 bucks. Every other tablet in the universe as a retine-type display these days....the old mini is going to be sadly out of place. People will be looking at the other tablets as alternatives.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the new iPad Mini w/Retina is definitely worth the extra $100. This is the Mini that Apple should have released in the first place.

To get you to buy both ... They're not going to make it easy for us lol.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I knew when I bought the mini that I would be upgrading in the following year when the retina version came out. However, I'm getting off the upgrade train after I get the mini 2. I think it has all the power I will need and certainly the screen cannot be improved. I do wish they had included touch ID, but I'll just have to live without it, as I'm NOT going to upgrade just to get that single feature.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I knew when I bought the mini that I would be upgrading in the following year when the retina version came out. However, I'm getting off the upgrade train after I get the mini 2. I think it has all the power I will need and certainly the screen cannot be improved. I do wish they had included touch ID, but I'll just have to live without it, as I'm NOT going to upgrade just to get that single feature.

I agree. I also knew I would upgrading as soon as the Mini w/Retina. After this one I probably won't upgrade for another 2-3 years.

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I also knew I would upgrading as soon as the Mini w/Retina. After this one I probably won't upgrade for another 2-3 years.

same here, the current mini supplies my needs for the most part so the new display will settle me in for a good long while.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you think TouchID will be the only attractive feature in the Mini 3? :D

Every 2 years feels right for me. The iPad 3 replaced my original iPad and the iPhone 5S replaced my 4S.

I do plan to get the Retina Mini which may replace my iPad (if the small screen doesn't bother me when used as a laptop replacement mostly at home) but will definitely replace my Nexus 7 which I take with me everywhere. Who knows what 2014 will bring that could compel me to upgrade early?

Most reactions

Latest posts