What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Retina Shipping Tread

mopar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone get a verizon 128GB mini I was told I wouldn't receive it until Dec 2?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone get a verizon 128GB mini I was told I wouldn't receive it until Dec 2?

My order is still processing but it says it will delivery between November 26 and December 4.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can drive to an Apple store just order online and pickup in store as long as they have the one you want. The fastest way of getting one. What's really crazy is you can't just go to the Apple store and buy one, have to go through their website. These things must be in extremely tight supply.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've already got one on order so I will just wait on it. I jumped through hoops late time, I'm done with that now. I still have two other iPads that are working fine, mostly.

OP
Yptcn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ordered mine on 11/12 on the  Store as soon as it went up and it arrived on 11/19 , 3 days earlier than ETA !!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the notice tonight that my 128gb LTE mini 2 is shipping from China. YAY!

Jodi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad mini w/ retina 128GB LTE Space Grey arrived from China today. I love the screen & don't see any issues with it. I have every iPad, except iPad 4, and I think the mini might actually have the best screen. I have the iPad Air & mine has a perfect screen. The colours are strong on the Air, but actually seem nicer & easier on the eyes on the retina mini. The screen is very sharp & I love it. This has sealed my decision, my husband can have the Air, I'm keeping the mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad mini w/ retina 128GB LTE Space Grey arrived from China today. I love the screen & don't see any issues with it. I have every iPad, except iPad 4, and I think the mini might actually have the best screen. I have the iPad Air & mine has a perfect screen. The colours are strong on the Air, but actually seem nicer & easier on the eyes on the retina mini. The screen is very sharp & I love it. This has sealed my decision, my husband can have the Air, I'm keeping the mini.

So you are saying that you do see a difference in the colors on the mini 2 and the Air, right? I think otherwise the screen is fine...the issue, or one issue, is that the color range is not great enough. I compared my mini 1 against my 3nd Gen iPad and I can easily see the difference in the color representation. Same thing when compared to my Nexus 7 2013. Its not about how it looks (well, for those who want accurate color representation), but about the colors the screen can show. I think most folks will not have any problems with the mini 2 screen at all.

Jodi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are saying that you do see a difference in the colors on the mini 2 and the Air, right? I think otherwise the screen is fine...the issue, or one issue, is that the color range is not great enough. I compared my mini 1 against my 3nd Gen iPad and I can easily see the difference in the color representation. Same thing when compared to my Nexus 7 2013. Its not about how it looks (well, for those who want accurate color representation), but about the colors the screen can show. I think most folks will not have any problems with the mini 2 screen at all.

Yes, I do see a difference. If you set them out side by side, you can easily see that there is a difference. I did read about the difference ahead of time & decided to look at the mini by itself initially & see if I like the screen. I do. I love it. The resolution is sharp and I do not have a problem with the colors. I actually like the colors. I admit that I am not a designer or photographer....but I am a user, tech geek, programmer & a mother. The difference only becomes apparent when you put the devices side by side. I can see that the colors are more vibrant on the Air, but they also look less natural. I'd almost use the analogy that the colors in the mini are like colors in a video/movie filmed with real life actors, while the colors in the Air are more like the rendered colors in a modern digitally rendered movie...think Pixar.
So, no, I don't think people should have a problem with the screen.
Heck, I just had the thought that I was happy just to get a coloured 320x480 pixel PDA in 2003 (Palm Tungsten T3). I actually dreamed of a 'PDA' the size of the mini back then. It's a reality now and the screen is awesome.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I do see a difference. If you set them out side by side, you can easily see that there is a difference. I did read about the difference ahead of time & decided to look at the mini by itself initially & see if I like the screen. I do. I love it. The resolution is sharp and I do not have a problem with the colors. I actually like the colors. I admit that I am not a designer or photographer....but I am a user, tech geek, programmer & a mother. The difference only becomes apparent when you put the devices side by side. I can see that the colors are more vibrant on the Air, but they also look less natural. I'd almost use the analogy that the colors in the mini are like colors in a video/movie filmed with real life actors, while the colors in the Air are more like the rendered colors in a modern digitally rendered movie...think Pixar.
So, no, I don't think people should have a problem with the screen.
Heck, I just had the thought that I was happy just to get a coloured 320x480 pixel PDA in 2003 (Palm Tungsten T3). I actually dreamed of a 'PDA' the size of the mini back then. It's a reality now and the screen is awesome.

Thanks much for the info. I probably will do the same as you...but I do a lot of photography and just wanted the best I could get....the mini is the perfect size for me and the 128Gb plus retina! Wow....so I have to live with a slightly different screen. I guess I will compare to my monitor to see what I think. I keep my iPad 3 right next to my monitor so I can get a second opinion on my images...I may just keep it for just this reason, too.

Jodi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks much for the info. I probably will do the same as you...but I do a lot of photography and just wanted the best I could get....the mini is the perfect size for me and the 128Gb plus retina! Wow....so I have to live with a slightly different screen. I guess I will compare to my monitor to see what I think. I keep my iPad 3 right next to my monitor so I can get a second opinion on my images...I may just keep it for just this reason, too.

Yes, how I feel is that the mini is the perfect size for me also. After using the Air though, I wasn't sure & I debated getting the mini. I ended up ordering it at release though & now it am so glad I did. I have now set up the Air for my husband & it's his first iPad. I've had all, but the iPad 4, but he has always just used his iPhone. If I find that he doesn't end up using the iPad, then I will take it back. However, assuming he uses it, I am going to keep my iPad 3 as my larger screen iPad for at home. My use case for it will typically be using it for video, while using my mini in my hands....as I was doing already (with iPad 3 & mini 1).
It sounds like you do more with photos than I do though...I just have a little Sony point & shoot and an iPhone 5, bot of which I use for photos & are happy with. I just snap photos for my personal memories & they are not really for showing off or enlarging. If you are a professional photographer, then the iPad Air would show a greater range of colours in your photos & also provide that larger screen for showing them to people. So, which iPad suits really depends on your use cases.
You could always email yourself a couple of test pics & go to a store with the mini on display to load your images (assuming you have web based email) to see what you think & compare the devices. I chose to analyse the mini on its own though, so put the Air away and used the mini by itself to see what I thought before if did the comparison....and I found that I am completely happy with the mini.
I'm still sad to hand the Air over to my husband though....but I know I'll use the mini as my main device now that it's here...and if I only need the larger screen some times or for watching video, then my iPad 3 is still great for that.

mesirs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
Did you try playing 4K videos on your mini/retina? how is it?

mesirs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the notice tonight that my 128gb LTE mini 2 is shipping from China. YAY!
I do hope, that you already get your mini, and how much time it take, to get it from china? is it the same, that apple promises?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jodi, from what I have read, the mini 2 has the same color range as the mini 1, so apart from the resolution, I don't think images will look much different than the mini 1. I will confirm this once my mini 2 arrives next week. I really find the size of the mini 2 is right for me. If I get an air, it will me a lower capacity model on wifi. I don't the the larger screen size adds much as I have a 27-inch monitor next to it. I can show folks images on the mini. As for the color....I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make other than me knowing the colors are off. Nothing I'm doing is color critical, I just want the best color rendition I can get, which I expect from a premium iPad. I'm not a pro photographer, but I still want to make images like a pro (and I never plan to do wedding, Yick!). :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi. Did you try playing 4K videos on your mini/retina? how is it?

4k video? That is a waste on a tiny screen. Better to do that on a large screen where the benefit will be apparent.

Most reactions