What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Price Listing Appears in Germany

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the evenings when I sit on the couch or in a chair with my iPad in my hand I notice that after a while it becomes heavy. I could pull out my phone, but then i'm sitting there with the tiny device 6-inches from the face (but that is a plus if I'm at the store shopping for something or waiting in a long line -- then I'd rather have it than nothing by a long shot). But when I pull out a 7-inch device (my GN7) it is light in weight and easy to see. The extra screen space is a plus compared to the phone (which fits in my pocket very well and goes with me everywhere) but the extra lightness is a plus because I can hold it longer without strain. It's a great "second screen" when watching the tV (or half watching the TV, which I do a LOT of). Yet, if I need to read lots of text or present/project sometthing, I grab the full-sized iPad, in its protective case, and put it in stand position on a desk/table and get to work.

The three different form factors actually do make a lot of sense, because I have different usage modes. When funds are limited, however, one is forced to make a decision (or several decisions), and everyone is different in this regard. Some might like a phone and a full-sized tablet device, others may just want a phone and a slightly larger, but light-in-weight device. Some may choose a phone and a laptop. There are a zillion ways to configure your computing life, based on YOUR needs or/and desires and not anyone elses. There really isn't a one-configuration-fits-all solution here.

Watch any of the Star Trek series. Those people had tablets everywhere, in various sizes, for a variety of functions. This is how I see my life shaping up. I just wish I could be out searching through the galaxy on adventures like they do. If I can't have that, at least I can have tech at every turn. Also interesting how on those shows all computer interfaces were either voice or touch screen.

:)

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are not wrong on any of this AQ_OC. and your post reminds me of "Hal" in Kubrick's "Space Odyssey". Personally, I somewhat regret I won't be around in 20 years time when people will complain that their iPad 13 didn't download the new "thought control" OS
All the best, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the evenings when I sit on the couch or in a chair with my iPad in my hand I notice that after a while it becomes heavy. I could pull out my phone, but then i'm sitting there with the tiny device 6-inches from the face (but that is a plus if I'm at the store shopping for something or waiting in a long line -- then I'd rather have it than nothing by a long shot). But when I pull out a 7-inch device (my GN7) it is light in weight and easy to see. The extra screen space is a plus compared to the phone (which fits in my pocket very well and goes with me everywhere) but the extra lightness is a plus because I can hold it longer without strain. It's a great "second screen" when watching the tV (or half watching the TV, which I do a LOT of). Yet, if I need to read lots of text or present/project sometthing, I grab the full-sized iPad, in its protective case, and put it in stand position on a desk/table and get to work.

The three different form factors actually do make a lot of sense, because I have different usage modes. When funds are limited, however, one is forced to make a decision (or several decisions), and everyone is different in this regard. Some might like a phone and a full-sized tablet device, others may just want a phone and a slightly larger, but light-in-weight device. Some may choose a phone and a laptop. There are a zillion ways to configure your computing life, based on YOUR needs or/and desires and not anyone elses. There really isn't a one-configuration-fits-all solution here.

:)

Agree.

I have laptop, netbooks, two iPads, Kindle Fire original, 5" Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, iPhone and touch. And at work i have two PCs. I use whatever works best for whatever I want to do.

I also have a 10" Kindle Fire on order, and am planning to kick the tires on an MS Surface this weekend, though I'm leaning toward a Samsung for my next full-size tab.

Choice is great, and it's especially so when I'm not limited to choosing one, lol.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure about this iPad mini thing. I prefer the size of the regular iPad and devices getting smaller and smaller isn't a good thing, IMO? I know that's the hot ticket now so Apple has to do what they have to do. They needed a kindle fire competitor and now they have one. Size does matter with tablets and the ten inch screen is as small as I'd ever want to go. Like you said, I'd just buy an iPad 3 if I wanted another iPad type of device.

I've got nothing against lots of choices in sizes and uses -- more choices for buyers.

I find uses for my full-size tabs, as well as my 7" Kindle Fire, 5" phablet, iPhone and touch. I'm open to buying more 7" tabs, but the iPad Mini isn't looking like a good buy for me.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if it is real that 8-GB iPad mini will be priced at $219, i believe this will confuse many as iPod 5 32GB priced at $299, but for me it is not hard to choose :-

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree.

I have laptop, netbooks, two iPads, Kindle Fire original, 5" Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, iPhone and touch. And at work i have two PCs. I use whatever works best for whatever I want to do.

I also have a 10" Kindle Fire on order, and am planning to kick the tires on an MS Surface this weekend, though I'm leaning toward a Samsung for my next full-size tab.

Choice is great, and it's especially so when I'm not limited to choosing one, lol.

That certainly is an impressive array of ownership! lol. And I guess when one has enough of the moolah and not limited to choosing any one item, problems of which to choose can become much easier .
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my mind, it will be easy to choose between a Touch and a Mini. The iPod Touch is really an MP3 player first, and other stuff second. Of course, it will do exactly the same thing that a Mini will do, and almost the same thing as an iPhone will do. So you give it to your kid. :)

I won't every buy an iPod Touch for myself because I carrry a 64 GB iPhone 4S around. No need for the two fo these. But the large Mini is going to be one of my second screens. I plan to use it (or a similar thing) only at home. Games, home automation, movies on Netflix, etc. The full-sized iPad will be a work-oriented machine. This is my usage, though, and my not work for others.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my mind, it will be easy to choose between a Touch and a Mini. The iPod Touch is really an MP3 player first, and other stuff second. Of course, it will do exactly the same thing that a Mini will do, and almost the same thing as an iPhone will do. So you give it to your kid. :)

I won't every buy an iPod Touch for myself because I carrry a 64 GB iPhone 4S around. No need for the two fo these. But the large Mini is going to be one of my second screens. I plan to use it (or a similar thing) only at home. Games, home automation, movies on Netflix, etc. The full-sized iPad will be a work-oriented machine. This is my usage, though, and my not work for others.

For me, touch is a sort of disposable device. I have books, audiobooks and music on it, and little else. I use it when I take the subway and such, so if it's lost or stolen, I'm not going to worry about my email, contacts and such being on it. The size is perfect for one-handed use while strapping-hanging, for instance, lol. It's also small enough that I don't have to worry about it being accidentally knocked out of my hands in close quarters.

I got it back when I used iPhone 4 and 4S, because it also eased my battery life concerns. I now mostly use a Samsung phone with a replaceable battery, so that's not as big a concern.

Most reactions

Latest posts