What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 2 has a 1.3 GHz A7 Processor, 5 times the performance of the 1st iPad Mini

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad_mini_retina_geekbench.jpg

Apple has finally commercially launched the Retina display iPad Mini yesterday, causing quite a bit of surprise, as we were expecting iPad Air’s smaller sibling to be launched later during the month. The iPad Mini 2 has just been launched, but we already have some early benchmarks to assess its power.

As we know, Apple's new Retina iPad mini comes with the same 64-bit A7 chip used in the iPad Air and the iPhone 5s, which, thanks to the new architecture, offers significantly better performance than the A5 chip that the original iPad mini had inside.

According to some new Geekbench 3 benchmarks spotted by TechCrunch, the Retina iPad mini is running at a 1.3Ghz frequency, much like the iPhone 5s. This is slightly below iPad Air’s 1.4GHz clocked frequency. The Retina iPad mini obtained a score of 1390 on the single-core test and a 2512 on the multi-core test, slightly lower than the iPad Air at 1466/2856. But when compared to the 261/493 score of the first-generation iPad Mini, we realize that the Retina iPad is more than five times faster, which is an incredible boost in performance speeds.

At the moment, we don’t know why the second-generation iPad Mini is clocked at 1.3Ghz instead of 1.4Ghz like the iPad Air, a few guesses being that Apple had to lower clock speed to improve overall battery life or to reduce heat.

Source: TechCrunch

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can absolutely live with this slightly slower clock....after all, the Air has much greater surface area and thus its ability to take heat from inside the case to outside is greater. We must remember that these are passive devices with no fan for cooling. You can't beat physics. I can't wait to get mine so I can run it hard to see how it compared to my other devices. :)

I'm so proud of Apple on this one...I was really afraid they would make the mini a second-tier device.

Most reactions

Latest posts