What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini 2 could outsell thinner 'iPad 5' nearly 2:1

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
mockup-131015-2.jpg

The iPad Mini is the darling of teenagers, there’s no doubt about that. Its more portable form factor isn’t the single feature that is attracting teens and other categories of users, with the display also playing a major role.

According to a new report coming from analyst Amit Daryanani with RBC Capital Markets, the inclusion of the Retina Display in the iPad Mini 2 will help the 7.9 inch tablet outsell the fifth-generation iPad by nearly 2:1 this holiday season. The analyst sees the iPad mini taking a 65 percent share of Apple's overall new tablet sales, while the 9.7-inch iPad 5 will account for the remaining 35 percent.

There might be some issues with the production of a Retina-packed iPad Mini. First of all, Apple might have to postpone the iPad Mini 2 launch because of supply constraints, which means it could be launched after the iPad 5, on a separate event. Secondly, the iPad mini 2 could be thicker to accommodate a bigger battery. If Apple manages to release the iPad Mini 2 with the Retina Display during the same time as the iPad 5 and if the device isn’t much thicker than the previous generation, then it probably has good chances of outselling its bigger brother.

Analyst David Evanson of Canaccord Genuity is on the iPad 5 side as he thinks that the slimmer fifth-generation iPad will slightly outsell the Retina iPad mini. He even gives some accurate numbers: 12.9 million "iPad 5" units to 11.5 million Retina iPad mini units.

What do you think? Which iPad is going to be more popular - the iPad 5 or the iPad Mini 2?

Source: AppleInsider

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally much prefer the full sized tablet but the mini is all the rage now so it will be the sales winner, me thinks.

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved my mini but I think I'm going for the 5 this time around. I need that bigger screen for these old eyes to see. And the fact that it will have the 64-bit A7 and a better looking form factor. I just have this feeling that the mini 2 will only have the A6 chip and will always be underpowered compared to the latest full size iPads.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 5 to replace my iPad 3 this time. I might replace my Nexus 7 with a Mini at some point but not this year. An iPad 5 and iPhone 5S are more than enough iDevices for 2013. (Maybe an iWatch or new ATV though. :p )

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I loved my mini but I think I'm going for the 5 this time around. I need that bigger screen for these old eyes to see. And the fact that it will have the 64-bit A7 and a better looking form factor. I just have this feeling that the mini 2 will only have the A6 chip and will always be underpowered compared to the latest full size iPads.

You and me both ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wife has (and loves) her iPad Mini - I still have the iPad 2 (and have old eyes, too) and much prefer the larger size, especially to read my magazines - if I upgrade devices, it will be the iPad 5 for me (w/ retina display - assume that would be the only resolution option?) - Dave :)

Appleipaduser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest rumor floating around is that the Mini 2 will be only updated with an A5X and that the change in back covers will be polycarbonate and have the same colors as the iPhone 5C.

It really sucks if it is true! I will wait till Apple starts making iPad Mini equal in technology to the full size iPad before I will buy it!

Most reactions