What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad mail app receives emails but will not open to show them.

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad mail app receives emails as shown by a beep for each one and a number appears on the app e.g 2, but when the app is clicked on it opens a white screen then shuts down again. There is no connection made to wi-fi which is working correctly.

In the email account the Inbox Push tick is greyed out which I suspect is the cause of the problem. Other folders have green ticks in the Push boxes as and when when entered.

I have deleted the mail account then reinstalled, turned off wi-fi then on again, etc, all to no avail.

Any thoughts, please?
Rogerman

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The ipad mail app receives emails as shown by a beep for each one and a number appears on the app e.g 2, but when the app is clicked on it opens a white screen then shuts down again. There is no connection made to wi-fi which is working correctly.

In the email account the Inbox Push tick is greyed out which I suspect is the cause of the problem. Other folders have green ticks in the Push boxes as and when when entered.

I have deleted the mail account then reinstalled, turned off wi-fi then on again, etc, all to no avail.

Any thoughts, please?
Rogerman

Are you using the native Apple Mail App?

Either way, I would suggest deleting the entire App and then reinstalling.

OP
R

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the native Apple Mail App?

Either way, I would suggest deleting the entire App and then reinstalling.

Yes, it is the native mail app.

How do I delete the app? It does not wriggle to make a cross appear in the top left corner by which apps can be deleted as I have tried.

OP
R

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you tap and hold? I have just tried on my iPad and an X appears on the Mail App, as it should
I had already tried that. The icon wobbles but no small x appears in the top left corner to be able to delete it.

OP
R

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like the Mail app itself is crashing. If you have not already done so, try powering the iPad off and restarting it.
I tried that numerous times but still no joy.

I still think it has something to do with the email account Inbox showing a greyed out tick in the Push box whereas the ticks are blue in other boxes e.g. Sent, Deleted, etc. Any idea how to change the tick to allow mail to be received?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried that numerous times but still no joy.

I still think it has something to do with the email account Inbox showing a greyed out tick in the Push box whereas the ticks are blue in other boxes e.g. Sent, Deleted, etc. Any idea how to change the tick to allow mail to be received?
Not all mail accounts can be pushed. If they can’t be pushed, they are simply fetched to a schedule or manually whenever you open the Mail App.

OP
R

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all mail accounts can be pushed. If they can’t be pushed, they are simply fetched to a schedule or manually whenever you open the Mail App.
I have tried both the fetch and manual but the point is the Mail app simply will not open like it used to.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the forum for problems related to iOS 9. Are you using an iPad that can’t be updated past iOS 9, or is a later software installed on your device? The most current one would be iPadOS 14.6

OP
R

Rogerman40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the forum for problems related to iOS 9. Are you using an iPad that can’t be updated past iOS 9, or is a later software installed on your device? The most current one would be iPadOS 14.6
The ipad is version 9.0.5 and when checked it says it is up to date. However, what I don`t understand is that the Mail app worked fine until some days ago.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try contacting your email provider. Perhaps an update on their side is the reason for your problem, or they stopped supporting older devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The most likely cause of this issue is an email that is breaking the iPad when it tries to load or display it. Isolate the iPad from the internet (turm off wi-fi and/or cellualr) then see if you can open the Mail app. If it opens, it’s something in the queque to download. Go to the website and delete any new/suspicious emails before enabling the internet again.

If Mail still crashes, them remove the account. If you get an option to delete stuff, do so. Go to your online email account, and agailn deal with any new/suspicious emails. Re-add the account and try again.

A slightly less likely cause is the Mail app itself broke, or some setting is a problem.

The first and less destructive thing to try Reset All Settings in Settings > General > Reset. This will not erase any content or apps, but will default a lot of the system settings and some of the native app settings; like Mail.

The second thing to try is to Erase All Content and Settings, in the same place. Obviously you want a good backup of the iPad before you do this. Less obvious, you’ll to go through all your favorite files, pictures, media, etc. and make sure you have copies somewhere off the iPad. Sometimes (rarely) restoring from a backup also restores an problem. You’ll want to be prepared for the possibility that you’ll be setting up your iPad from scratch.

The final and most troublesome possibility is that something in the iOS has been corrupted. In that case you’ll need to completely reload iOS using something called DFU mode or recovery mode. Honestly, I‘m fuzzy on how this works since I’ve never had to resort to it; so research is recommended.

If you have and Apple Store nearby, you can save yourself most of this hassle. They will troubleshoot the iPad for free, and most issues like restoring/recovering there the iPad will also be free, and done in the store while you wait. No guarantees, but worth a try if you’re within a reasonable commute.

* Push email: At this time the only type of account I’m sure works with Push notifications is Apple’s iCloud account. Gmail used too, when the offered the choice of Exchange accounts. Since they moved all consumer (free) accounts to IMAP only, they haven’t worked with Push. That suggests that MSN, hotmail, and other Microsoft Exchange accounts may work with Push. I don’t have any of those accounts to test out that assumption.

That’s a long way of saying the Push button may be grayed out because none of your email accounts are cmopatible.

That’s about all I can think of at this time. Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts