What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad looses printer

Zuknut2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short version: HP Envy 100 printer shows as available on IPad after restarting IPad or printer. About forty-five minutes later IPad cannot find printer. Latest version of firmware on printer, router, and latest update for IPad. Apple had me check Ipad at store on their printer, still working after one hour. HP sent me another printer, same problem. Set printer with static address, same problem. Change lots of settings on router, same problem. Does anyone have the same problem and more important does anyone have a solution?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short version: HP Envy 100 printer shows as available on IPad after restarting IPad or printer. About forty-five minutes later IPad cannot find printer. Latest version of firmware on printer, router, and latest update for IPad. Apple had me check Ipad at store on their printer, still working after one hour. HP sent me another printer, same problem. Set printer with static address, same problem. Change lots of settings on router, same problem. Does anyone have the same problem and more important does anyone have a solution?

I'm sorry to have raised your hopes by replying to your post. I bet you thought - great, someone has a fix! I have, more or less, the same problem.

My printer isn't an AirPrint printer so I use the third-party app, PrintCentral, that cleverly inserts itself into the in-app print menu and appears as an AirPrint printer. The app then 'translates' the AirPrint protocol to a format that my printer 'understands' and communicates with it wirelessly.

But I am experiencing exactly the same issues that you have. I thought this was a PrintCentral issue but your post has made me think there might be something more to it than that.

Clearly you've done all the obvious things - static address, router configuration changes etc - and you're still facing the same problem. Maybe if there are enough of us out there in 'iPad land' with this problem we can figure the solution between us. For now, it's just plain annoying...

So, apologies for not being able to offer a solution. But maybe it's comforting to know that you're not the only one with this problem.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm thinking that it is a limitation of how PrintCentral works. Obviously in order to insert itself into the AirPrint function it has to keep something running in the background. Some of the background task types have limits on how long they will run in the background.

To test this, next time you have a problem, try stopping PrintCentral in the multitask bar and then restart it. If it can then detect the printer, this is probably the answer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds like a plan!! I'll give it a try. I appreciate the advice.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions