What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad going crazy

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately because it is a first generation iPad the genius bar while likely able to confirm the problem as hardware will not be able to do much to help you. Warranty is expired and unfortunately your iPad can likely be repaired but cost justifying such repairs isn't feasible.

Maybe if you get the right Apple employee they may offer you a discount on an iPad2 or third generation iPad.

Last edited:

DVDKEV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with my ipad. Typing on its own, changing page size, moving about in applications etc, I spent days working on a fix and have finally solved it.

I hope this benefits others;

1) Download latest itunes to a computer.
2) Connect ipad to the computer using white usb cable.
3) Transfer all purchases etc.
4) Disconnect from itunes.
5) go to settings on the ipad and choose the General option, scroll to bottom and select Reset.
6) choose erase all content and settings.
7) reconnect the ipad to the computer. wait for itunes to find the ipad.
8) on the ipad select set up as new ipad etc until it shows the icons.
9) on itunes select restore ipad.
10) leave itunes to download the latest software. it might take 30mins. dont touch it.
11) when the download is complete it will restore the ipad with latest software.
12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

post here if this helps you.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DVDKEV said:
I had this problem with my ipad. Typing on its own, changing page size, moving about in applications etc, I spent days working on a fix and have finally solved it.

I hope this benefits others;

1) Download latest itunes to a computer.
2) Connect ipad to the computer using white usb cable.
3) Transfer all purchases etc.
4) Disconnect from itunes.
5) go to settings on the ipad and choose the General option, scroll to bottom and select Reset.
6) choose erase all content and settings.
7) reconnect the ipad to the computer. wait for itunes to find the ipad.
8) on the ipad select set up as new ipad etc until it shows the icons.
9) on itunes select restore ipad.
10) leave itunes to download the latest software. it might take 30mins. dont touch it.
11) when the download is complete it will restore the ipad with latest software.
12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

post here if this helps you.

Thank you very much for posting this success story!

Bookmarked!

Pakdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I'm digging up an "OLD" topic but my iPad started doing the same thing. It types, deletes.....just about anything it wants to with no human input!
I've tried RESET as new and DVDKEV's recommendations. Nothing. Since this is not a newer iPad, no warranty possibilities. Getting another is not a huge investment but I am still kinda creeped out on what this one is doing. Why can't an iPad have a virus? Everyone says there's no way or never has one been proven. But this thing is acting like a child has possessed it!
Any newer ideas on what can be done?
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I'm digging up an "OLD" topic but my iPad started doing the same thing. It types, deletes.....just about anything it wants to with no human input!
I've tried RESET as new and DVDKEV's recommendations. Nothing. Since this is not a newer iPad, no warranty possibilities. Getting another is not a huge investment but I am still kinda creeped out on what this one is doing. Why can't an iPad have a virus? Everyone says there's no way or never has one been proven. But this thing is acting like a child has possessed it!
Any newer ideas on what can be done?
Thanks
The problem could very well be a defective touchscreen, causing spurious inputs, which result in the effects you've been seeing. A diagnostic would be needed to confirm this.

Pakdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. It does seem to calm down after @30 minutes but when it is active, it acts like it is purposely doing things. I am avoiding opening the APP STORE as it may actually choose something and purchase!
It's mildly intriguing but quickly becoming a serious PITA. haha

Veritius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad keeps going crazy! I have shut it down three times now and it keeps going haywire on me. went to the settings to see if it needed updating and it says it is updated. Has anybody else have this problem? It's a first gen.

How long do ipads last? Is it about to die on me?

So, I've had this problem (since named my iPad iGlitch) and this is easily fixed with a system update for all those people with this problem.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I've had this problem (since named my iPad iGlitch) and this is easily fixed with a system update for all those people with this problem.
If such a problem really is caused by a defective touchscreen, an update won't fix the problem. That's why I earlier suggested a diagnostic to determine the true cause of the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts