What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad fingerprint resistant oleophobic coating

iPadUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad fingerprint(oil) resistant oleophobic coating

Would the oleophobic coating on the iPad wear off if you didn't use a screen protector? If it can wear off than would that mean that it would be harder to wipe the fingerprints off the screen?

Last edited:

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you used harsh chemicals to clean the glass, I'd imagine the oleophobic ability would be less effective.

A microfiber cloth and your breath should be enough to clean it. No need for Windex or an ammonia based glass cleaner to clean it.

Same thing for a screen protector: a microfiber cloth and your breath is all you need to clean it.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup, eyeglass cleaner is harmless, but not really necessary. Unless of course, the iPad is covered with dried up gunk that has accumulated over the weeks.

SPC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone consider their iPad fingerprint resistance?

Mine is a fingerprint magnet! The screen gets dirty without even touching it.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's an advantage of the iPad screen protectors. They reduce the amount of visible fingerprints compared to the naked glass.

By nature, a touch screen will get dirty...screen protector or not.

OP
I

iPadUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your input, very much appreciated.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The title is misleading - the glass is oleophobic, meaning it's resistant to fingerprint oils, not fingerprints themselves.

OP
I

iPadUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The title is misleading - the glass is oleophobic, meaning it's resistant to fingerprint oils, not fingerprints themselves.
Thanks, I changed the title part at top...should have made main title different

Last edited:

KuroK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have brand new iPad (1 week) and - my bad - I cleaned it with alcohol based liquid.
Now I feel it is different, the surface is not so slick, when I put finger with little more power, my finger doesn't move, before it was so slick that I can't hold finger on one point.
Now I'm missing it, because it's not so easy to scroll, is there any way how to recover the original layer? It was something oily I think, so oily that even oil from finger won't stick on it.

Is there any spray or maybe Apple service centre can do it?

many thanks

Most reactions