What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad File size Download Limitations over Wifi

ComicDom1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea if this has been mentioned or discussed before but yesterday I was at Borders who offers free Wifi for those of us that have ipads.

I am currently building my first Hackintosh so I thought I while I was in the store with my girlfriend, and wif was free, I would attempt to download the Snow Leopard 10.6.5 combo update.

So I clicked on the Safari Browser to get to the apple download site. I attempted to download the file and got a message saying file too big for Safari. So I tried a different browser I had on the ipad. No Joy.

While I really like my ipad(by the way I am really a pc guy) I think the the download restriction is a severe limitation. If you consider that many of us have 64GB ipads and we have a limitation on the file size we can download, it cuts down on the usefulness of the tool. From reading on the net I think I saw a 20MB limit on download size for 3G connections. Maybe someone can confirm this.

If jailbreaking your ipad removes this download limitation then I am all for it.

Jason

Last edited:

Machinecolxbox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My word, wasnt aware of this! if this is true im sure it will be worked around quite quickly seems a bit stupid to pay £400 and then tell you how you can use it!!

Hedonist222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak as i did you can use 3G unrestrictor. It tells the apps you specify that you are on wifi even though you're really on 3G. This way you can download without a cap. I use this to download apps from the app store th at are more than 20mb.

OP
C

ComicDom1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak as i did you can use 3G unrestrictor. It tells the apps you specify that you are on wifi even though you're really on 3G. This way you can download without a cap. I use this to download apps from the app store th at are more than 20mb.

Then I am confused because I was on free wifi at the bookstore when I discovered the limitation. I was not on 3G. I do not have the 3G model.

Jason

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without an app or a jailbreak, it's not possible to download anything but pictures. Try GoodReader.

Most reactions