What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad dropped black screen but has back light

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings,
My granddaughter (4 years) knocked her mother's iPad to the floor. The glass didn't break, but the screen doesn't display anything. The back light does light up.
I am going to take it apart and check the connections. I may have to buy a new screen, with digitizer. I have taken apart iPhones before, so I am not afraid of attempting this. It is already broken, right?
If you have any hints, I'd love to hear them.
I'll report on my progress, and hopefully my success.
Fid

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Fid - first, some have reported that a couple of gentle thumps on the back of the iPad may correct the screen - now whether this is a permanent correction is guess work, but may be worth a try.

Second, what is the current warranty of the iPad - of course, an accident is another issue - if Apple Care is intact then worth a visit to Apple.

Finally, if none of the above is helpful and no warranty exists, then you might want to visit iFixit and find a manual for the repair - good luck. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you connected it to iTunes on a computer to check if the iPad is recognized? That would indicate no serious internal problems other than the screen issue.

OP
Fid

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I already had tried the smacking it on the back. Thank you Dave. So I decided, what the heck, try it again. I put in on the table on top of a magazine. I hit it quite hard three or four times. Still nothing. I decided to really give it a thumping. I hit it as hard as I thought I should without breaking it a few times and then two more times about 50% harder. Then I gave it some smacks at the top and at the bottom. When I tested it again the main screen came up with the slider. I don't know the passcode that my step-daughter has, and she is already asleep. I'll get that later.
I am going to check it out with my Mac and iTunes. I had thought of hooking it up to my computer after I monkeyed with it. I just hooked it up and I need to have the passcode before I can check it out on iTunes. Thank you scifan57 for that information about checking the internal workings.
I can now take it back to my step-daughter and she can get back into it.
This was an adventure with a good ending. :)

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Fid,With the info given , and this is my idea , the problem is most likely in the
LCDscreen itself, or in this case since backlight works, I'm thinking the
problem is in the LCD or Display screen connector. Now there are three
Components in the connector that delivers the image to the screen .
One of the "stabs" or solder pins from one of the components is loose or broke away from solder pot. Most likely from left to right the third
component is where fault has occurred and is basically a bridged type
solder connection.It could be any one of the six or a combination of two or more . Regardless if this is the beast , it will require soldering to
"Bridge " or close the circuit to continue the continuity. Sometimes
Rapping on the back works but it's temporary . It will make or close the circuit long enough for the LCD to show images or flicker images ,
However once the current is applied or drawn the viberation alone from the voltage reopens circuit. All voltages viberate . And that's not including what the user is doing . Well here is an elementary diagram ,
very basic , simple . Hope this is helpful . You can go to U tube and probably find out some more info on , be sure to enter I pad 2 DISPLAY
OR LCD SCREEN or keywords as to what your problem is
image.jpg

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Fid,

Hitting the back is the common solution for what happened to your ipad. It may be a temporary fix or it may work fine for years, only time will tell.

Most reactions