What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad doesn't support multitasking

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatriciaF said:
@ POSER, I looked up the Multitaksing on my iPad2 and can not find what you are showing "Multitasking Gestures". I don't have thatttt,,,, why? I'm new at all this iPad2 stuff but learning from ipadforums.

Me too! It's a different language. Latin is way easier!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ POSER, I looked up the Multitaksing on my iPad2 and can not find what you are showing "Multitasking Gestures". I don't have thatttt,,,, why? I'm new at all this iPad2 stuff but learning from ipadforums.

the thing is, my iPad 1 and iPad 2 is jailbroken, and there is a super easy way of adding this, so i did.

stock iPads on the other hand, can add this too, i never had to....and right now i forgot how to do that, but you need Xcode 4(Mac only..a 4GB download) installed to apply it to the iPad.
Not sure about how or if windows does this.

But, iOS 5 will be out on oct 12th, and should have this feature(I'm thinking iPad only), not sure if the smaller devices will support this.

although my jailbroken iphone 4 does indeed have this, don't think stock will allow for smaller devices.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the thing is, my iPad 1 and iPad 2 is jailbroken, and there is a super easy way of adding this, so i did.

stock iPads on the other hand, can add this too, i never had to....and right now i forgot how to do that, but you need Xcode 4(Mac only..a 4GB download) installed to apply it to the iPad.
Not sure about how or if windows does this.

But, iOS 5 will be out on oct 12th, and should have this feature(I'm thinking iPad only), not sure if the smaller devices will support this.

although my jailbroken iphone 4 does indeed have this, don't think stock will allow for smaller devices.

Thanks for the update Poser, I am learning something new everyday. I decided not to jailbreak my iPad2 or my iPhone4. I understand you can do a lot more with it jailbroken but guess I'm chicken to do it.:rolleyes:

Have a good one!

p3unit32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ruvil said:
Why doesn't the iPad have GPS? As far as i have seen - that's what the 3G version has.

About multitasking... if I'm not mistaken, the correct description of multitasking in computer science terms is that "making two processes SEEM like they run at the same time". As far as i know - that is possible. Some apps does not have multitasking support, but thats the developers fault and not apples.

The 3G version has more accuracy pin pointing your location because it has a radio, while the wi-fi model has to triangulate it and it doesn't have a radio.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim got it right. As usual. Sorry, Heaviside, I often overlook the potential differences between the original iPad and the iPad 2. It shows up in a number of places. For example, although I have Xsysinfo, an app that enables one to kill suspended apps and in doing so to "free" RAM, I've never really had a reason to do so. Even when my "free" memory is limited, the iPad 2 continues to operate normally. I have the impression that those with only 256K of RAM routinely run into problems and need the ability to kill programs. I don't.

I have Xsysinfo, too, but thought it only "provided" info.

How do I use it to kill suspended apps? Or does that only work on the iPad2?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the most recent version of XSysInfo (1.6, I believe), when it's opened in the default page, pull down on the screen info on the right side. It'll take a while but it should clear out your RAM.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 'free RAM' facility of XSysInfo was removed at the latest update because it used an undocumented API (application programmer interface) and Apple insisted that this (very useful) feature be removed. So many of us have not been updating XSysInfo so we can keep this facility.

It's not really Apple being 'mean'. Undocumented APIs can be changed at will and without notice by Apple because they are, well, undocumented and unofficial. Therefore Apple feel no obligation to maintain them. As a result, any app that uses an undocumented API may, in the future, exhibit unpredictable or erratic behaviour. So Apple try to ensure that all apps stick to using the documented and maintained APIs so that the stability of the iPad and its apps can be guaranteed.

Tim

I have Xsysinfo, too, but thought it only "provided" info.

How do I use it to kill suspended apps? Or does that only work on the iPad2?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry to hear about the "upgrade".

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have watched October 4th Keynote from the beginning to the end and haven't heard a word about the multi touch gestures .
Any idea if they will be on iOS 5 ???

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for those that jailbroken their devices, cardswitcher tweak is awesome for multitasking, especially if you know how to integrate it with activator gestures....you will be pleased.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have watched October 4th Keynote from the beginning to the end and haven't heard a word about the multi touch gestures .
Any idea if they will be on iOS 5 ???

Yes, they are included in iOS5.

Just a few more days...

Marilyn

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, they are included in iOS5.

Just a few more days...

Marilyn

Thank you , that's good news !

As far as signing up to iCloud is concerned....must I sign up with my me.com or my iTunes id address ? I have been looking that up and have found every thing and the opposite !!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly? Your guess is as good as mine. Here's what I see on Apple's web site:

When you set up a new iOS device or need to restore the information on one you already have, iCloud Backup does the heavy lifting. Just connect your device to Wi-Fi and enter your Apple ID and password. Your personal data — along with your purchased music, TV shows, apps, and books from iTunes — will appear on your device.2 If you’re an iTunes Match user, you can download your entire music library from iCloud.

I put the bolded part in there - which seems to me to mean that you won't use anything but iTunes password/username.

But, I can't guarantee that - I'm making an assumption. I guess we'll all know come Wednesday.

Marilyn

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 'free RAM' facility of XSysInfo was removed at the latest update because it used an undocumented API (application programmer interface) and Apple insisted that this (very useful) feature be removed. So many of us have not been updating XSysInfo so we can keep this facility.

It's not really Apple being 'mean'. Undocumented APIs can be changed at will and without notice by Apple because they are, well, undocumented and unofficial. Therefore Apple feel no obligation to maintain them. As a result, any app that uses an undocumented API may, in the future, exhibit unpredictable or erratic behaviour. So Apple try to ensure that all apps stick to using the documented and maintained APIs so that the stability of the iPad and its apps can be guaranteed.

Tim

It's working again Tim, pretty smooth too.

Most reactions

Latest posts