What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad doesn't support multitasking

nancehall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 doesn't support multitasking and GPS. It supposed to be a replacement for netbooks. Unfortunately, it is not possible for multitasking.

Edited by Moderator ~ your statement in your signature has been removed. We are not the classifieds. Read the rules. ~ SP

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate? As you know, the iPad - for sure - doesn't support multi-tasking in the way a Windows environment does - Apple have never claimed anything different. It's a deliberate technical decision in order to maximise battery life and improve performance. Some background tasks are supported though - audio playback and file downloads, for example.

So, when you mention GPS, I'm trying to understand the context of this remark. On my iPad I can use GPS and listen to audio playback and my file downloads continue as normal. So I was wondering what particular aspect of the iPad's behaviour had been affected by the use of GPS in your case.

Tim

ruvil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why doesn't the iPad have GPS? As far as i have seen - that's what the 3G version has.

About multitasking... if I'm not mistaken, the correct description of multitasking in computer science terms is that "making two processes SEEM like they run at the same time". As far as i know - that is possible. Some apps does not have multitasking support, but thats the developers fault and not apples.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the OP was complaining that GPS and multi-tasking were mutually exclusive..

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, just to re-emphasize, if you have the iPad2 w/ 3G, a GPS receiver is included, so not a problem - I purchased the Wi-Fi only model and w/ Wi-Fi spot triangulation, your location can be more crudely defined (of course that implies a location w/ active Wi-Fi spots nearby!).

Concerning multi-tasking, apps when 'closed' are typically put into an inactive state (consuming very little battery power); if you then double-click the home button, a task bar is brought up at the bottom of the home screen, the app desired can then be pressed and will come back to action where you had left off - of course not the same as having 2 or more programs opened at once on the same monitor (which I do on my PC). :)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
multitasking.PNG

LANDKA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually multitasking has been improved a lot in the latest iOS versions.
If you use heavy apps (like 3D games) the ones in the background will close, but that is really needed to release memory and prevent the iPad from slowing down.

And the multitasking gestures are great, I use them all the time!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with iPad one just double click the home button to see the apps that are opened and switch from one to the other in the same fashion. Of course you will never see two apps in the same window but you're still multitasking in the same way as on a PC that has full sized windows opened.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the iPad does not (presently) support multitasking, as Tim just mentioned. It is really more like a "quick launch" feature in which exiting a program leaves it in hibernation in ram. When you go back to that program it picks up where it left off.

On a related issue, can someone tell me why, then, does my browser have to reload a page when I return to it after leaving it upen on my desktop?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the iPad does not (presently) support multitasking, as Tim just mentioned. It is really more like a "quick launch" feature in which exiting a program leaves it in hibernation in ram. When you go back to that program it picks up where it left off.

On a related issue, can someone tell me why, then, does my browser have to reload a page when I return to it after leaving it upen on my desktop?

If I understand your question, I think you answered it. Are you saying it has to reload the page or that you have to re-enter the url to get back to it? If it's the former, I believe the answer is that in the absence of true multitasking the browser reloads the web page in case it was updated since you last viewed it. The information maintained when you left, I believe, is simply where you were, not the content of that web page.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I understand your question, I think you answered it. Are you saying it has to reload the page or that you have to re-enter the url to get back to it? If it's the former, I believe the answer is that in the absence of true multitasking the browser reloads the web page in case it was updated since you last viewed it. The information maintained when you left, I believe, is simply where you were, not the content of that web page.

Right, but why does it automatically update? I'd love to turn that off. I often leave the main page of a subforum open here while I read a thread, then go back to select another---and its annoying to have that long delay while the original page refreshes.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's simply because the iPad doesn't have enough system memory (RAM) to store the page. So, if system RAM is in short supply, the present webpage is memory intensive or you have several tabs then the iPad simply doesn't have enough RAM to store the current page. The problem is significantly better on the iPad2 - which has twice the RAM of the iPad1 - but it's still there. Even a PC has this problem though, since most PCs have several GB of RAM, it isn't as prevalent.

Tim

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. So when I see that thumbnail on my screen it doesn't mean that the whole thing is there---! Gotcha!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. So when I see that thumbnail on my screen it doesn't mean that the whole thing is there---! Gotcha!

Tim got it right. As usual. Sorry, Heaviside, I often overlook the potential differences between the original iPad and the iPad 2. It shows up in a number of places. For example, although I have Xsysinfo, an app that enables one to kill suspended apps and in doing so to "free" RAM, I've never really had a reason to do so. Even when my "free" memory is limited, the iPad 2 continues to operate normally. I have the impression that those with only 256K of RAM routinely run into problems and need the ability to kill programs. I don't.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ POSER, I looked up the Multitaksing on my iPad2 and can not find what you are showing "Multitasking Gestures". I don't have thatttt,,,, why? I'm new at all this iPad2 stuff but learning from ipadforums.

Most reactions

Latest posts