What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad charging issue

roseyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an ipad 3 with a charging issue. The ipad will only charge with an iphone charger (5w) and will not recognize a ipad charger (10w). I have proved the charger and cable with another ipad so I know its not them. I have had the docking port changed and its made no difference. I have tried rebooting etc but still the ipad wont recognize the ipad charger. I dont know what to do next. The ipad charger and cable are genuine apple products
Any suggestions ??
Roseyp

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense, in the sense that you've done everything I can think of, and the results don't make sense.

One other test you might try is to use another known good iPad charger (10W) and see if it acts differently with your iPad.

If you get the same results, and you have an Apple Store nearby, I recommend making a genius bar appointment and taking all involved parts in for them to look at; otherwise you'll likely spend a lot of time trying to convincing them that this is actually happening.

OP
R

roseyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense, in the sense that you've done everything I can think of, and the results don't make sense.

One other test you might try is to use another known good iPad charger (10W) and see if it acts differently with your iPad.

If you get the same results, and you have an Apple Store nearby, I recommend making a genius bar appointment and taking all involved parts in for them to look at; otherwise you'll likely spend a lot of time trying to convincing them that this is actually happening.

I have tried it with 2 other chargers and cables and the results are the same !! I will video it and post if I can to prove it but honestly this is what is happening. My nearest apple store is 150 mile away so long journey and 1 month out of warrenty !
Roseyp

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not asking for proof. But as an old tech support guy I can tell you the first thing a 'good' tech at the genius bar will do is try to replicate the problem. It's what techs are taught to do. So it's always best to have all the hardware you've worked with available if you go.

If you are out of warrantee, they should still look at it for free, and confirm the problem. Actual repair will cost, of course. They should always tell you before taking any action you can be charged for, but it's always good to ask if in doubt. Depending on the problem you might be able to find a third party repair shop that will try to fix it for cheaper; but make sure they are Apple certified.

I can only think of a few things that might let an iPad charge on a 5W charger but not a 10W unit, and none of them are easy to fix. It will involve either the batteries themselves and/or the charging circuits and logic. Very little of that is software. That's guesswork. I have not got the kind of technical information that would let me make an more accurate prediction.

In the end, you may find it easier, if not cheaper, to upgrade your iPad, or shop around for a used or refurbished replacement.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have tried it with 2 other chargers and cables and the results are the same !! I will video it and post if I can to prove it but honestly this is what is happening. My nearest apple store is 150 mile away so long journey and 1 month out of warrenty !
Roseyp

Hi Roseyp - welcome to the forum and sorry about your problem, although I'm as baffled as Twerppoet - you might want to tell us if the 10W charger worked w/ your iPad when first purchased; if so, when did it start having this behavior and were there any changes made @ the time, e.g. iOS upgrade, or has the device been damaged, such as a drop?

If you have not 'Reset' the device, then give that a try (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver) - doubt that this will help but will not harm; also, when plugged into the 5W charger, is the battery icon shown to be charging or not (should be the latter but curious)? Before going on, I'll let you respond - Dave

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar charging problem where my 4S won't recognize my iPad charger but found a solution that works for me. Maybe it will work in your case.
Before plugging the docking cable into your iPad, pull the charger from the wall and short the plug prongs/blades with your index finger. You won't feel a thing. I believe this grounds out any residual current in the charger. Then plug the docking cable into your iPad and then the charger into the wall. This sequence works in my situation. Hope it works for you. Let us know.

JasmineCharlotte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My brothers ipad 3 wont charge past 29% when it gets to 29% it says not charging! we've tried 3 different plugs, adapters and cables. :(

navneetsinha999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thing this problem is basic problemIf you get the same results, and you have an Apple Store nearby and help of apple custmorcare.

OP
R

roseyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Roseyp - welcome to the forum and sorry about your problem, although I'm as baffled as Twerppoet - you might want to tell us if the 10W charger worked w/ your iPad when first purchased; if so, when did it start having this behavior and were there any changes made @ the time, e.g. iOS upgrade, or has the device been damaged, such as a drop?

If you have not 'Reset' the device, then give that a try (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver) - doubt that this will help but will not harm; also, when plugged into the 5W charger, is the battery icon shown to be charging or not (should be the latter but curious)? Before going on, I'll let you respond - Dave

Hi
Tried the reset but no change. I was going to try a factory reset and restore but probably won't help either. The problem started a few weeks ago and wasn't after a software update. Ipad has not been damaged either. With the iphone charger connected the green lightning symbol is shown and the ipad charges
My main issue for Apple is that I am 150 mile from their nearest stores in the UK so getting their help will a major journey especially that the ipad is just out of warrenty !
Thanks again
Roseyp

Most reactions