What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad busted - NOT

301Liu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to share an experience.

I was at the beach (in the shade) trying to use my iPad and it appeared to be busted. The screen was black - I tried power off/on, etc. nothing - the screen remained black. I was disgusted and dejected but thankful that I had the protection plan.

When I got home, I decided to try it once more - viola - it workerd perfectly.

After much retacing of steps (and asking if anyone had dropped the iPad), I realized what it could have been! I ran to my car and got my sunglasses and put the on - bam - it was "busted" again.

My sunglasses are polarized!! No matter what how I oriented the iPad, no light was coming through - MORAL - Beware the dreaded polarised sunglasses and the iPad!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the same thing last week while on vacation. :D Its crazy how the polarized lenses completely block all light from the screen.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I was going nuts when I was in my fiancée's newer Civic and couldn't see the dash/radio.....apparently those don't work either with polarized sun glasses!

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know my screen is "black" when it's in portrait orientation and I'm wearing polarized glasses, but the screen is fine when in landscape with the home. Utton on the left side....never tried it upside down or with the home button to the right..

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did read that one of the screen protectors, nushield I believe, will eliminate the polarized sunglasses problem. I think I read that, but correct me if I'm wrong.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know my screen is "black" when it's in portrait orientation and I'm wearing polarized glasses, but the screen is fine when in landscape with the home. Utton on the left side....never tried it upside down or with the home button to the right..

Just to update, I was in my truck before (where I keep my sunglasses), so I checked it out in the other orientations. In portrait, you ant wee the screen right side up, or upside down. In landscape, you can see the screen either way. Guess they have some kind of polarizing built into the screen.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to update, I was in my truck before (where I keep my sunglasses), so I checked it out in the other orientations. In portrait, you ant wee the screen right side up, or upside down. In landscape, you can see the screen either way. Guess they have some kind of polarizing built into the screen.
Or your screen protector?
Do you have one in place?

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or your screen protector?
Do you have one in place?

Nope...no screen protector...just have an Apple case/sleeve on it.

Most reactions