What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad bricked? Restore process errors!

sharkskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying since several hours to update my recently bought iPad 4 with stock iOS 6.0.1 and trying to update using iTunes to the latest iOS 6.1. Note that i had already downloaded the OTA update to 6.1 on the iPad but never installed the update. I figured it was best to install the full firmware update from iTunes. I've read and tried almost every single guide out there on this problem, but i really don't know what else to do as my iPad is completely unusable! I set the iPad in DFU mode and downloaded the 6.1 official firmware update from Apple (size: 1.09 GB) and then pointed the restore to it from iTunes. I keep getting errors 1601, 1604, etc and the restore process aborts every time after a few minutes. I have the 32 GB Wi-Fi only iPad 4 and i do not have any backup of my apps and data, but i don't care. I can always re-download all my paid apps and re-transfer all of my data. At this point, i only want my iPad to be operational again. HELP!!!

Here is the guide that i've followed mainly:
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html
and i downloaded the 6.1 firmware for my iPad 4 at this link (from the guide above):
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Maybe i should try restoring the 6.0.1 firmware?? I'm downloading it right now. It's the only option i have left anyway. Let's hope my iPad 4 isn't a goner.

Last edited:
OP
S

sharkskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi AA

OK, i'm trying out the suggestions from your link as i got a bunch of errors ranging from 1601 to 1604 during the restore process.

EDIT: It worked! My iPad 4 is now running iOS 6.1. Thank you!!

Here is how i solved it:

1. Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
  2. Restore and wait for the error.
  3. When prompted, click OK.
  4. Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
  5. The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
  6. Try to restore again.
That procedure is kinda dodgy and is more a manual bypass to a glitch with iTunes. Anyway, i guess it's easier to fix the problem by manually closing and reopening iTunes, since Apple appears to believe so. The iTunes restart could have been substituted by internally reloading the drivers/software instead of requiring the user to close and reopen, which is a strange manipulation since no prompts were ever made by iTunes to that effect. But what matters is that it's all fixed now!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For information, we have a failsafe restore guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

This process is proven and repeatable and will successfully restore any iPad device provided it does not have a hardware fault. It does not rely on any "hit or miss" components, such as disconnecting / reconnecting the device or quitting and restarting iTunes part way through ;)

Last edited:
OP
S

sharkskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent! Hopefully anyone else having this problem will search the forum and see this exchange.

AA
Exactly. That's precisely why i posted the entire solution to what helped me get my new iPad 4 working again. I honestly thought that i would have to take it back to the Apple store tomorrow. I just bought my iPad 4 a few weeks ago, so it would not have been a very encouraging beginning with a device that i had hoped would be useful to me for a few years. But now, thankfully, i know what to do the next time i want to do a complete restore when the next version of iOS rolls out.

For information, we have a failsafe restore guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

This process is proven and repeatable and will successfully restore any iPad device provided it does not have a hardware fault. It does not rely on any "hit or miss" components, such as disconnecting / reconnecting the device or quitting and restarting iTunes part way through ;)

I did mention that same link in my first post and i very closely followed that guide through my endless hours of searching for a solution that would actually work on my iPad 4. I did all that was said in that guide, multiple times, but it just wouldn't work. The solution was actually simpler than what was depicted in that guide, although i'm sure that the guide is a great help to those who encounter problems with their iPads.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did mention that same link in my first post and i followed that guide through my hours of searching for a solution that actually worked on my iPad 4. I did all that was said in that guide, multiple times, but it just wouldn't work, in my case.

You did indeed, my bad. The solution you got to work indicates you have something running on the PC, such as anti-virus, anti-malware, or another service which is interrupting the comms with iTunes, and so breaking the restore. Anyhoo, at least you got it fixed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts