What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad books with a newly formatted computer

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just had to reformat my computer and of course had to re-install itunes.
Of course when I did that non of the books or music showed up.
My question is - what will happen when I plug in my wife's ipad?
When I plug it in will I loose everything on the ipad?
Is there any way to get everything back from the ipad onto itunes.
I really hate to start all over again loading all the books and music
I know it's to late but, is there something that I should have done before I reformatted?
Thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you connect your iPad to the computer, make sure you don't automatically sync with it. This can be found in iTunes - Edit - Preferences - Devices.

When you connect your iPad to the computer for the "first" time, you'll have to confirm that you trust the computer. A popup will appear on your iPad, where you'll have to select "Trust".

In iTunes, you can transfer your purchases to the computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1848

Before formatting, you could have used one of these methods to make sure music not purchased in iTunes Store isn't lost: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Last edited:
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this work with only the purchased items?
I have a lot of books and music and pictures that were not purchased through itunes
Thank you for your quick reply

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your help.
My wife still hasn't asked me to load in more books - so I'll see what happens when the time comes. Scary

Most reactions

Latest posts