What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad books converted to kindle

gabjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife uses IPad for reading & I use a kindle . Can anyone give me step by step instructions for converting & transferring books from one to the other?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you mean from iBooks to the kindle, you can do this only with books that have no copy protection. Anything you buy from the iBooks bookstore will be copy protected.

Use Calibre to convert the formats.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even then, the Kindle doesn't read ePub (the last I looked), and the iBooks does not read azw or mobi. The only format that both the Kindle (device) and iBooks have in common is PDF: There are no PDF books in the iBook Store, and few to none in the Kindle store.

On the other hand, you can read just about any Kindle book on the iPad using the Kindle app. Just sign on with the wife's account in the app. No way to do things the other way around, DRM or not. Unless there have been some major updates to the Kindle devices.

I wonder if the Kindle Fire has or will have an ePub reading app?

Addendum: There are other book reading apps that will read the .mobi format. I should have mentioned that; but since the Kindle app reads Kindle books, it shouldn't matter in this case.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's why I said to use Calibre to convert the formats. You can convert ePub to Kindle if you have unprotected ePub books...

You are correct that the best solution is to use the Kindle Reader App on the iPad ans only Kindle apps.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. It's really not going to help anyway, since virtually all books in the iBook store, except the free books, are copy protected anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
True, but I still should have been paying better attention.

It is hard to blame the industry though. In many ways books are even more vulnerable to piracy than music and video. The market is smaller, the file size is conveniently portable, and unlike music and movies most people rarely read a book more than once; so they have no incentive to go out an buy it after the first read. And while the publishers and authors might benefit from a common DRM method, ebook sellers can only see it as reducing competition to a cutthroat price war.

Still, we are making progress. When I first started playing with ebooks more than ten years ago, 'readers couldn't be choosers' (to paraphrase my grandma) :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am nearly ready to see my first novel published, and we are debating the eBook format now. I want to support as many secure formats as possible, and my publisher only wants to support iBooks and Kindle. We are going to skip hard cover and publish in paperback and eBook only... Should be interesting.

susiet62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MY wife bought a book from Itunes, I want to read that book on my Kindle, my daughter mentioned something about putting it on the pc and then over to the Kindle, any suggestion?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you bought the book in the iBooks app then you can not transfer it to the Kindle.

Both the Kindle and iBook stores use different DRM (Digital Rights Management) and formats. They are not compatible with each other. You could convert the format if the books were DRM free, but with DRM you're stuck with the store and apps you bought the book from.

If you want to share books across both devices you are better off purchasing everything from Amazon's Kindle store. While you can't read them in the iBook app, there is a Kindle app for the iPad that will read them. You need to use the same account for both the Kindle device and the iPad app.

angelnana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. If want to transfer one book from iPad to Kindle, it would be a little difficult if the iPad books are bought from iBooks store. Unless you remove iBooks drm and convert them to mobi format.

2. Of course you can use the Kindle app on iPad if want to share kindle books to iPad.

Tips:
you can search the Internet to find a good tool to help you resolve the problem. I recommend a tool named Ultimate Converter, or you can also use Calibre.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recommend a tool named Ultimate Converter, or you can also use Calibre.

Calibre is really a must have tool if you do more than purchase books from the big online vendors. Many of the classics are available at no charge and are DRM free and Calibre is great at handling your library.

Calibre will convert formats and also set up a wireless library so you can move them your device easily.

Most reactions