What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery life, I can handle the truth

Sayishere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
perfect thread exactly what i needed to know

10 hours plus is more than enough for my usage

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have gotten as little as 7-8 with constant usage, screen brightness all the way up and either wifi or 3g on all the time. (rarely both though) That was web surfing and playing games.

With more normal, occasional usage throughout the day, it goes 10-12 hrs easy.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I pretty much abuse mine, have backgrounder enabled (don't often have anything going on in the background, though) and when I get home from work at, say, 10pm and run it almost non-stop, I'm usually at about 70ish percent when I'm done.

My wifi signal where I sit is fairly weak, I'm pretty far away, and I usually end up downloading a whole bunch of stuff while I sit there, so I'm sure that has a fair bit to do with it.

Fiddling with it at work, tethering to my phone, I'm at 95% at this point, just playing music and not really doing anything, it's been on and going for about 2 hours now, but the screen has, primarily, been off - so I'm not sure if I believe the extended audio play time.

What it would be like with wifi off is another story. I'm a terrible tester though ;)

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery in my ad last's so long that I don't even think about it :)

I was setting up my mother-in-laws new Dell laptop today and notice that the battery was only good for 3 hours, and I thought, wow, that's terrible :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So many voice their hatred for AT&T, and yet, there are just as many who hate Verizon, T-Mobile, or US Cellular. There is a lot of improvement needed by all of them, but if they spend the money to fix problems in one area, it moves to another area. And the backbone is the joint responsibility of all carriers. If they keep adding towers, then they will be short of fibreoptic lines, servers, switches, etc. And don't forget that many of the areas that are having many of the issues are the ones that take months or years to get permission to install towers because they do not fit the atmosphere the planning committees want. You can get on the carriers all you want, but that is not going to solve the problem. You want the carriers to charge less and do more. I too want more carriers for Apple mobile products, but unless the federal government or ALL the carriers come up with a comprehensive plan to advance internet service, we are stuck with a hodgepodge of systems.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last thing we need is MORE government regulation.

I actually can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about Verizon.

not2fly1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last thing we need is MORE government regulation.

I actually can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about Verizon.

Verizon's service and coverage area are pretty stellar, but I've never used AT&T to compare. I will say this though, Verizon will screw you over in a second on billing and insurance. I often have to call and cancel things 2-3x to stop being billed for them.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS - Your little website in your signature about the iPad competitors and trashing the iPad...I have news for you -

1) The number one competitor you list, Archos, is a piece of junk. I've had two Archos products in the past and they are complete trash.

2) The Dell Streak isn't even out yet for the US users, and running Android 1.6 is such a joke that it's not even funny. 1.6 is nearly the crappiest piece of software out there. Anyone using a TMobile G1 who has used other devices like the Moto Droid, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, etc can attest to that.

3) The HP Slate is rumored to be a dead in the water idea that will never see the light of day.

4) Innoversal tablet is also not released yet, and running Windows 7 on a touch device would be a nightmare at the very least. Navigating an OS that was not designed to be a touch OS from the get-go like Android or Apple's OS is a mess.

5) I'm not going to even keep going. All of your "alternatives" don't even exist yet with the exception of the Archos, which I can tell you is the biggest piece of crap company on earth. They actually ALLOW stuck pixels as part of their quality control process because they use such piece of crap screens. If you have less than I think it is 5 stuck pixels, even BRAND NEW out of the box, they won't accept it for warranty work because it's within their Quality Control (if you can even call it that) system.

I've been through two Archos products before my iPad and they are complete junk.

not2fly1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS - Your little website in your signature about the iPad competitors and trashing the iPad...I have news for you -

1) The number one competitor you list, Archos, is a piece of junk. I've had two Archos products in the past and they are complete trash.

2) The Dell Streak isn't even out yet for the US users, and running Android 1.6 is such a joke that it's not even funny. 1.6 is nearly the crappiest piece of software out there. Anyone using a TMobile G1 who has used other devices like the Moto Droid, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, etc can attest to that.

3) The HP Slate is rumored to be a dead in the water idea that will never see the light of day.

4) Innoversal tablet is also not released yet, and running Windows 7 on a touch device would be a nightmare at the very least. Navigating an OS that was not designed to be a touch OS from the get-go like Android or Apple's OS is a mess.

5) I'm not going to even keep going. All of your "alternatives" don't even exist yet with the exception of the Archos, which I can tell you is the biggest piece of crap company on earth. They actually ALLOW stuck pixels as part of their quality control process because they use such piece of crap screens. If you have less than I think it is 5 stuck pixels, even BRAND NEW out of the box, they won't accept it for warranty work because it's within their Quality Control (if you can even call it that) system.

I've been through two Archos products before my iPad and they are complete junk.

Those competitors are listed in alphabetical order, not by merit. :)

We'll see how much of a joke they are when all of them are released. To be honest, I can't imagine using a device that doesn't support flash, allow multitasking, nor have USB ports. Those are just big, absolute needs for me to pay $500-600 for a tablet device.

Using it in class for note taking as a big part of why I want a tablet, and I'll def need multitasking so I can switch from looking up something back to my notes, etc. It's a deal breaker for me as far as the iPad is concerned.

I agree, I would never use a tablet with Windows 7, but a lot of people would. I'm hoping to use some version of Linux when I buy a tablet. We'll see though.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So why are you here?

Besides the fact that you can multitask now with jailbreak and you can use it with the next update.

And flash is useless.

not2fly1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So why are you here?

Besides the fact that you can multitask now with jailbreak and you can use it with the next update.

And flash is useless.

I'm here to learn more info before I decided what to get. Tablet devices are obviously an interest of mine. :p No need to be so rude, IMHO.

Flash is useless? Please, expound upon that. Sure, you can argue that it's awkward or inefficient, but by shear force of popularity and endorsement it can't be ignored or dismissed. It's a whole section of the internet. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get it on the iPad though.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My point is, why would you join an iPad forum and flaunt a link in your signature about better devices and an article that outlines basically why the iPad sucks?

The word troll comes to mind.

OP
N

nabilalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using it in class for note taking as a big part of why I want a tablet, and I'll def need multitasking so I can switch from looking up something back to my notes, etc. It's a deal breaker for me as far as the iPad is concerned.

I agree, I would never use a tablet with Windows 7, but a lot of people would. I'm hoping to use some version of Linux when I buy a tablet. We'll see though.

The new Apple OS does support multitasking as you described, without the need to jailbreak.

OP
N

nabilalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So why are you here?

And flash is useless.

I'm here to learn more info before I decided what to get. Tablet devices are obviously an interest of mine. :p No need to be so rude, IMHO.

Flash is useless? Please, expound upon that. Sure, you can argue that it's awkward or inefficient, but by shear force of popularity and endorsement it can't be ignored or dismissed. It's a whole section of the internet. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get it on the iPad though.
If your main purpose for the iPad is productivity, then flash is not something that is a necessity. If you also want to be able to watch Hulu for example, then I guess Flash is something that you need. For all the complaints about not having Flash, it doesn't seem like it is really needed. I have it enabled on my Android phone and I am yet to find a site that I actually need, which requires Flash to browse.

Most reactions

Latest posts