What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery app (timer/tracker)

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that iPad 2's battery life seems to be way under 10 hours with normal usage. This morning for example it went from 100% to 85% in about an hour. That's around 7 hours if drain is constant. I'd like a more precise way of recording battery usage, does anyone know of application that can time usage of the device (i.e. start counting when it's wakes up, and stop when it goes to sleep)?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bratan said:
I noticed that iPad 2's battery life seems to be way under 10 hours with normal usage. This morning for example it went from 100% to 85% in about an hour. That's around 7 hours if drain is constant. I'd like a more precise way of recording battery usage, does anyone know of application that can time usage of the device (i.e. start counting when it's wakes up, and stop when it goes to sleep)?

Try out boost magic. Seems to be working very well for me and gives you a more accurate percentage of battery life. Also gives tips on how to improve battery life. It has a screen test to see if you have any dead pixels. Also shows the 3 charging stages the iPad goes thru. Just because u plug iPad up and chug to 100% doesn't mean it's exactly at the peak/top of it's charge. You will see what I'm talking about once u check this app out. I had the "Battery" app at first but this boost magic app is really great ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try out boost magic.
Thanks for the tip about the Battery Boost Magic app. I've been extremely happy with our iPad's battery life, but being the geek that I am, having more info about these sorts of things is great...if not just fun. I'm going to try it out. :)

For the OP...different apps and programs can drain the battery much faster than others. Graphic intense gaming, constant use of WiFi and/or 3G, those sorts of things take a lot more power than some of the more basic apps. That said, it's possible that there's a problem. If it continues I'd have a chat with Apple Support.

OP
Bratan

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I've tried Light version of Boost Magic, it seems a great app (especially for reconditioning battery), but doesn't really give me statistics what I want. It estimates run time for various tasks, but doesn't seem to log battery usage. I used to have an app (battery graph) like this in my Treo 650 long time ago :) I'll keep on looking, but thanks again for the suggestion!

Last edited:
OP
Bratan

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try out boost magic.
For the OP...different apps and programs can drain the battery much faster than others. Graphic intense gaming, constant use of WiFi and/or 3G, those sorts of things take a lot more power than some of the more basic apps. That said, it's possible that there's a problem. If it continues I'd have a chat with Apple Support.
Yup, that's my plan, but I want to gather some solid data first before I call Apple. BTW mine is WiFi only.

I've read various benchmark people done, and it seems that most of them are not real life scenarios, i.e. they turn on iPad and start watching movies, using apps non-stop until battery goes out.

I want to do a better test: i.e. turn in on the morning to check e-mails, news, read a little in the train, watch an episode of a tv show, keep it off while I'm working, then turn it back on for commute to home to a play a game or two, etc. :D

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score

if it's first charge it doesn't equivocate...b/c you sync with computer, which kills battery and doesn't charge it...try charging it to 100% then let it charge another 30-45 mins...there's a reserve on the ipad I"m sure...there is on iphone 3gs and 4...(so it acutally goes to about 120 percent rather than 100)..notice it stays at 100 percent much much longer than after it dwindles to 90...

OP
Bratan

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if it's first charge it doesn't equivocate...b/c you sync with computer, which kills battery and doesn't charge it...try charging it to 100% then let it charge another 30-45 mins...there's a reserve on the ipad I"m sure...there is on iphone 3gs and 4...(so it acutally goes to about 120 percent rather than 100)..notice it stays at 100 percent much much longer than after it dwindles to 90...

True, Lithium-ion batteries don't discharge gradually...
Anyway I think I found what I was looking for. Two apps: Battery Graph (just like the one I had for Palm) and MeinAkku (unfortunately it's in German and not very pretty). Both track on/off events and show graph over time :)

Most reactions

Latest posts