What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad arrives next week

chezza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm new to this forum and i'm my ipad arrives next week. i was hoping to get some tips before it arrives. my first questions is, "how will i keep the kids off it?"

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy them their own iPads;) Or tell them it's strictly for your business.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell them its an educational tool and the won't get within 10' of it!

Actually, especially if this is your first "iDevice" (iPod or iPhone), you should go to the Apple website and download the iPad User Guide. It is a free .pdf file that you can save to your computer. It is a pretty big file (154 pages) so it may take awhile to download. You would be surprised (or maybe not!) at how many people ask questions that are easily answered by reading the User Guide.

I would love to post the link, but --

apple.jpg

But all you have to do is go to apple.com, select the Support tab at the top of the screen, select the iPad icon on the Get Support screen, the click on Manuals on the Welcome to iPad Support screen.

OP
C

chezza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you. I will download the user guide.
i have been looking around the internet and it seems the apple store is not the only place to download books from.
can anyone give advice on these?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as books, the "Big Kahuna" is Amazon. Of course you have heard of the Kindle reading device, but there is also a Kindle app for the iPad which allows you access to exactly the same stuff as you would have on the stand-alone Kindle reading device. The two major "brick & mortar" books stores also have reading apps. The Barnes & Noble app is called Nook (just like their reading device) and Borders has a reader that is exactly the same as the Kobo reading app.

Another major player is called Stanza. Not only is it probably one of the best apps for reading public domain material (public domain = FREE!), you can also download books from a couple of online booksellers including SmashWords which is a great site for self-published authors. In addition to that, you can also download books from Project Gutenberg which has over 33,000 public domain titles you can download for free! Most of these are the "classics" you had to read in high school, but there are also some obscure titles over there like "All About Coffee" which is several hundred pages published in 1922 and will tell you more about coffee than you ever wanted to know! There are also several other sources of free material including Random House and Harlequin (if you are into that mushy romance stuff!)

Stanza also allows you to put your stuff on one of those "clouds" like DropBox or Box.net.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts