What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad air will not charge while turned off.

Patrick M.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
This Ipad air I just bought is my first I pad. To explain what I mean is that when I power down my tablet then plug in the charger,, instead of that green battery icon with the percentage of battery life you have doesn't pop up. The second I plug in the charger it turns on. It charges while on. I called Tmobile and they sent me a new one and it does the same thing. Does anyone else have this problem? I was thinking maybe I need a different type of charger, I've been looking on amazon. If this has happened to anyone and you know of a fix, I'd really appreciate it. I tried several different things and nothing works. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small problem. I just have to charge it while its on, but my thinking is, I paid a lot of cash for this and it should work right. No?
Thanks..
Knot

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
This Ipad air I just bought is my first I pad. To explain what I mean is that when I power down my tablet then plug in the charger,, instead of that green battery icon with the percentage of battery life you have doesn't pop up. The second I plug in the charger it turns on. It charges while on. I called Tmobile and they sent me a new one and it does the same thing. Does anyone else have this problem? I was thinking maybe I need a different type of charger, I've been looking on amazon. If this has happened to anyone and you know of a fix, I'd really appreciate it. I tried several different things and nothing works. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small problem. I just have to charge it while its on, but my thinking is, I paid a lot of cash for this and it should work right. No?
Thanks..
Knot
Hi, welcome to iPF!

All iPads are working that way. As soon as you plug them in, they turn on if turned off. Try it another way: plug in your device, then turn it off. It should charge, but stay turned off.

Hope that helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks..
Knot

If I understand you correctly, the [turned fully off] iPad turns on when you plug it in to charge it, correct? That's normal iPad behavior. Once you plug it in, it will start back up ... by design.

You only have a problem if it doesn't charge after you turn it back off. So, try this: plug it in to the power source and then turn it fully off. It should not come back on yet it should still charge. Wait a while and then turn it on to check the charge level. It's ok if you've got more charge - again, that's the normal behavior.

I dunno why Apple made it act that way. Used to drive me NUTS to have it keep turning on until I understood it was "normal"! :)

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
Patrick M.

Patrick M.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply Marilyn,
I just did what you said. I powered down with the charger plugged in. When it shuts down it doesn't do anything. Even after 5 minutes. So I unplugged and plugged back in the charger and it started by itself the second I put the charger back in. Like I said. I returned one already for this reason. It's hard to believe I'd get two defective devices like that.. Thanks though that was worth a try. :)
-Patrick

OP
Patrick M.

Patrick M.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

All iPads are working that way. As soon as you plug them in, they turn on if turned off. Try it another way: plug in your device, then turn it off. It should charge, but stay turned off.

Hope that helps.
Yea I powered down while plugged in and the screen just remained black, I waited 10 minutes and nothing happened. So I unplugged and plugged it back in and it fired right up. So I"m not sure. Are you able to charge yours when the power is off. Do you get the Green battery icon displaying what percentage you are at? I'm still wondering if it's a charged issue. Like I said though. 2 Ipads out of the box are doing the same thing. lol
Thanks.
-Patrick

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the iPad plugged in and powered down, you aren't going to see that green battery icon. The iPad is off so nothing will display/work on it. The only thing it's doing while off is charging (well, if it's plugged in :)). It IS charging - so that's the good thing.

If you want to make sure it's charging, make a note of the current battery percentage. Then, plug it in, turn it off and leave it for about an hour or so. Then, turn it back on (can even leave it plugged in - just press/hold the sleep button 'til you see the Apple logo). When it turns fully on, look at the battery percentage. It should be a higher number. That will verify it is charging while off even tho you see nothing.

Marilyn

OP
Patrick M.

Patrick M.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the iPad plugged in and powered down, you aren't going to see that green battery icon. The iPad is off so nothing will display/work on it. The only thing it's doing while off is charging (well, if it's plugged in :)). It IS charging - so that's the good thing.

If you want to make sure it's charging, make a note of the current battery percentage. Then, plug it in, turn it off and leave it for about an hour or so. Then, turn it back on (can even leave it plugged in - just press/hold the sleep button 'til you see the Apple logo). When it turns fully on, look at the battery percentage. It should be a higher number. That will verify it is charging while off even tho you see nothing.

Marilyn

OK, thank you,
I will try that. thanks so very much for your help. This is my first apple product. I'm used to android but I like this much better.. :)

OP
Patrick M.

Patrick M.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Hope that helps.
Yes it does help thanks,
Now I know that my ipad isn't defective it's meant to do this. I had the Iphone 5 and it charged while turned off, that's why I was concerned. Although I only used the Iphone for about 3 months, I do remember that..
-Patrick

Most reactions

Latest posts