What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 vs iPad Air: Sould You Upgrade?

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
golf-ipad-air-2.png

Just like we did last year, we're putting this year's iPad Air head-to-head with the last year model, trying to understand what exactly are the improvements and if it's worth the upgrade.

I'm sure you want to see just about everything that has been changed and that's what the focus will be on with this story - to highlight only the improvements. So, let's give it a go and see what changes do we find!

Finish and color - the new iPad Air 2 comes with the new Gold color option, on top of the Silver and Space Gray options. Also, the iPad Air 2 comes with a laminated screen, which means the LCD, glass, and touch sensor are optically bonded now.

Price and storage options - the WiFi model starts at $499 for the 16GB with $100 extra for each next upgrade. However, the 32 GB version is gone and instead we have 64GB and the new 128 GB version, as well. Last year's iPad Air 16 GB version is now at $399 and the 32GB one at $449. For the WiFi+Cellular version, add $130 for all configurations.

Display - while the new iPad Air has the same display resolution, it does come with a fully laminated display and antireflective coating which are improvements to take into account.

Dimensions and weight - with the new iPad Air, Apple has managed to decrease its thickness to just 6.1 mm compared to 7.5 mm on the 2013 model. This translates into a 18% thickness reduction. Also, the Wi-Fi model is slightly lighter at 0.96 pound (437 g), compared to 1 pound (469 g) on the original iPad Air. Similar values go for the Cellular model, as well.

Processor - the iPad Air 2 sports the A8X chip with 64-bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor which is said to at least twice as powerful. It also comes with the TouchID fingerprint scanner that can be used for online purchases with ApplePay service.

Camera and video - the new model can take 8MP photos and also comes with a new Burst mode. There's also a new Slo-mo video when recording.

ipad-air2-overview-bb-201410

Another minor improvement is that the new iPad also gets a barometer sensor, which should prove to be useful in some apps. So, looking at all these changes, are you sticking to the 2013 model or making the upgrade? Up next is the iPad Mini.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer's simple for me. Nope. Saving my money for an iWatch. (It's iWatch, not Apple Watch. I don't care what Apple calls it.)

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer's simple for me. Nope. Saving my money for an iWatch. (It's iWatch, not Apple Watch. I don't care what Apple calls it.)
Wait. I forgot about the antireflective coating. That in its self gives me pause and makes me think... hummm.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I don't see any compelling reasons to upgrade. I'm not the type to buy a new device each year anyways but nothing here is groundbreaking. I don't use the camera. Touch ID is of dip ios value to me. The reduced screen glare? Whatever.

I'm good. ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, it's a "no."

While the new upgrades and specs sound neat, my iPad Air is just fine. IMHO, there's just not enough there to justify it (even though I have a sister waiting in the wings [eagerly!] for my iPad Air hand-me-down :) ).

Given that I DO have an Air, I'd recommend the new one to anyone in a heartbeat. It's a sweet bit of kit! Just not enough to replace my current one...

I'll see what Apple offers next year. For now, I'm still one happy camper with my Air 1 and my 6 Plus [phone].

Marilyn

LeCaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a "NO" for me too! The 6 Plus is another matter. I checked earlier with Apple and if I ordered it from them now, I could pick it up today. But I want an unlocked phone which they aren't selling yet.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a definite for me. I've been holding out for sometime....it's probably the minimalist in me! I worry about having too many devices to use. However, the iPad Air 2 looks sweet. My husband has the Air and it's fast. This will be a huge jump from my iPad 2! :)

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Air 1 and it works perfectly for me, so I won't be changing this time around.

Most reactions

Latest posts