What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 1 vs Mini 2

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my first iPhone (6s) as an upgrade in March and, and I was offered something I couldn't refuse by my network provider - as I've been with them for year:
Either an iPad Air 1 or a mini 2 with no upfront costs, but a monthly data plan.

It took me a while to decide. I already had a 3 year old mini Samsung tablet, but it was kind of slow. To cut a long story short:
I was persuaded to go for the Air (32gb wi-fi/cellular) as I was told that it's better than the Mini 2 in terms of specs. I must say, I'm blown away by the Air and it's addictive!

However.....it's only been out of the house on 4-5 occasions due to its size. I guess that, in hindsight, the Mini 2 would've offered more portability.

Does anyone out there have both the Air 1 and the Mini 2? I don't need the latest iPad, btw lol

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Tommy - welcome to the forum - I now have an iPad Air 2 and like the size - do a lot of reading on the device (books, PDFs, & computer mag subscriptions - would not like the experience on a Mini); wife has one of the latest retina Minis and loves it - only complaint is she is not as keen on reading books and mags on her device - this is really a 'personal' decision that only you can ultimately make. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tommy - welcome to the forum - I now have an iPad Air 2 and like the size - do a lot of reading on the device (books, PDFs, & computer mag subscriptions - would not like the experience on a Mini); wife has one of the latest retina Minis and loves it - only complaint is she is not as keen on reading books and mags on her device - this is really a 'personal' decision that only you can ultimately make. Good luck - Dave :)
Thanks for that. I'm new to the iPhone/iPad world (as you can tell) and it was a bit of a minefield deciding as there are so many heated spats (especially from non iPad users) that put me off a bit.

I've noticed that I've been using my laptop (fairly new) less since getting my Air. So, I'm getting full use out of it. It's just the bigger size that makes the Air less portable, I guess.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I've noticed that I've been using my laptop (fairly new) less since getting my Air. So, I'm getting full use out of it. It's just the bigger size that makes the Air less portable, I guess.

Hi again - well I started w/ an iPad 2 in 2011, so have had 5 years to adjust to the 'standard' iPad size, plus the Air 2 is lighter and thinner than previous models - I still use a laptop to do most of my posting on forums at home, such as this one, but I no longer take a laptop 'on the road', just my iPad w/ a BT keyboard (if I need to post or respond to an email, which is rare) - the iPad is great in that situation for browsing the web (looking for local attractions, restaurants, maps, etc.), checking email, reading books/mags, listening to music (have well over 100 hrs of MP3 music + a portable BT speaker), and playing the few games that I do enjoy - you'll be amazed at the tasks an iPad can perform (and replace) - good luck and let us know your experience. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again - well I started w/ an iPad 2 in 2011, so have had 5 years to adjust to the 'standard' iPad size, plus the Air 2 is lighter and thinner than previous models - I still us a laptop to do most of my posting on forums at home, such as this one, but I no longer take a laptop 'on the road', just my iPad w/ a BT keyboard (if I need to post or respond to an email, which is rare) - the iPad is great in that situation for browsing the web (looking for local attractions, restaurants, maps, etc.), checking email, reading books/mags, listening to music (have well over 100 hrs of MP3 music + a portable BT speaker), and playing the few games that I do enjoy - you'll be amazed at the tasks an iPad can perform (and replace) - good luck and let us know your experience. Dave :)

Thanks once again Dave. The one thing that surprised me was the sheer size (memory wise) of those iOS updates....ouch! I'm glad I got the 32gb version, but I've only got 17gb left of available data - after only 2 months of ownership lol.

adilmalick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a mini2 for a while and performance was fine, but I always wanted a bigger screen to play Hearthstone. I'd recommend larger screen and go with the air.

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a mini2 for a while and performance was fine, but I always wanted a bigger screen to play Hearthstone. I'd recommend larger screen and go with the air.
I got an Air earlier this year, and it's great. However, I feel that a mini 2 (or the more expensive mini 4) would my ideal "go everywhere" iPad.

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge and treated myself to a 32gb cellular Mini 4.....wow, it's awesome! It's thinner than my Air 1, which is incredible. I'm glad I got this instead of the Mini 2.....even though the Mini 2 isn't too shabby, but you get my point lol

BlackCat89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original Air and love it. A friend of mine has the mini-2 and doesn't like it for reading books or magazines. I'm kinda confused about the mobility issue for some. Granted, it doesn't fit in my pocket, but it's no different than carrying around a magazine. It goes everywhere I go.

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original Air and love it. A friend of mine has the mini-2 and doesn't like it for reading books or magazines. I'm kinda confused about the mobility issue for some. Granted, it doesn't fit in my pocket, but it's no different than carrying around a magazine. It goes everywhere I go.

My first tablet was a Samsung Galaxy tab 2, with a 7" screen....just over 3 years ago. So, I started out with a smallish mini tablet.
My Air 1 is a beautiful tablet, and it's almost replaced my laptop at home.

Now, my new Mini 4 is slightly wider than my old Samsung tablet, but it's thinner and lighter. So, I now have the best of both worlds!

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMG_1118.JPG

Here's my Samsung galaxy tab 2 and my Air 1

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had an air 1/ mini 2, air 2/ mini 2. I've now settled with the iPad Pro 12.9" for non portability and still have my mini 2. It still works great for me.

OP
T

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a lot of bezel on that Tab 2
There sure is! It was my first tablet (bought it 3+ years ago) and it's a tough little thing. It's a bit slow now, but it still works. My Air makes my Tab 2 look a toy in comparison, though lol

Most reactions